FIRST Chickens coming tomorrow...is my coop racoon proof?

emilyweck

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Eugene, Oregon
I am getting 4 Chickens total. 2 Araucana and 2 Rhode Island. I am very excited, but I won't sleep at night unless I believe they are safe. I have a total wood coop with 2 small windows away from the nesting area. These windows are covered with welded wire (1 X 1/2). The roof is metal and the small openings in the eaves are covered with the same welded wire. The flooring is plywood. Will the raccoons scratch through the plywood? Also, what type of latches should I have for the doors? Thanks in advance for your needed help!

I would go with a latch (hasp) like this with a loop that will twist and hold it tight then put some kind of clip on it so it won't open even if they do twist it (this is just an example there are many other varieties).
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100166926

A coop, like a chain, is only as strong as its weakest link. Doors and windows are usually the weakest points. These are the areas where raccoons will try to go first. I don't think you have to worry too much about them scratching or chewing through your plywood. If they scratched or ate their way through wooden walls no chicken would be safe. Test your coop, push and pull on doors, windows, and openings. Don't be gentle either, an animal won't be. See how it holds up to a little abuse. How is the roof attached? If it's just a tin roof, do you have enough screws to keep something from lifting it up enough to squeeze in? If you have a raised coop with a wire floor how does it hold up to being pulled down on? Can anything reach in a grab a chicken on the roost? They can kill them even if they can’t get the body out.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom