First chickens

michaelf1478

Songster
7 Years
Nov 26, 2013
After a few months of research and a few weeks building my coop I am almost ready to buy my first chicken, my coop is roughly 8x5 and I have my run made with 10x10 dog cage, I only used 3 pieces of the kennel and I attached the coop to the the fence so I wouldnt have the coop in the kennel so they would have a bigger run, with all that being said I need you guys and gals help on a breed. I mainly want them for laying, I have been looking into EE, Ameraucanas, or araucana I have found some araucana local kinda leaning toward them I just want some expert advice so I can get started in the right direction. Ohh and I live in middle Ga

I have four Ameraucanas and I love them. Three of them lay nice greenish blue eggs, and one of them lays an almost light teal colored egg. They are beautiful as well with their muffs and beards. My favorite brown layers that I have are my Buff Orpingtons, Sex-Links, and my Jersey Giants. I only have a few white layers, with my Leghorn being the best.

leghorns - you can get white or brown eggs from them
road island reds, sexlinks, barred rocks & plymouth rocks are also good egg layers.
you can have a mixed flock for variety in egg color. There are lots of articles on here for chickens & eggs - check out the learning center tabs above :)
Welcome to BYC & glad you joined
jumpy.gif

Make sure you understand the difference between EEs, Ameraucanas and Araucanas. Many people use the breeds interchangeably when in fact they are all EEs. You don't want to be paying a premium for EE chicks that are being sold as the other two. That being said, I love my EEs. You end up with a fun and diverse flock. What kid wouldn't eat green eggs and ham for breakfast? I also like an egg basket with all the colors so I have white, brown and green egg layers.

Thays what ive been working on for the past few days trying to see the differences between them all. Im also looking a some welsummers now to

If you just want backyard birds that lay colored eggs, go for the Easter eggers. Unusual colors, more variety in the eggs laid, and less money invested. Plus, unless you have a really good breeder who can discuss colors and tell you the difference between the breeds, you're going to get Easter eggers anyway. Folks buy "Ameraucanas" or "Aracaunas" from hatcheries, actually Easter Eggers, and breed and resell them as Ameraucanas and Aracaunas. Those breeds only lay blue eggs, EEs lay shades of blue, green, brown, tinted.

Ok im pretty sure im gonna get 2 welsummers this week and after the new year im gonna get 2ee. Roughly how old are the welsummers before they start to lay?

Back
Top Bottom