First Chicks - Brooder Setup

Farmer Shell

Chirping
May 12, 2021
Northeast Mass
Hello!

I got my first chicks today. I've never had chickens before, so this is a first in all aspects for me. They arrived via USPS, and I think they arrived well. I've done lots of research, but every time I read something I learn something new.

So here is my setup, and I was looking for any advice anyone might have! They are Black Australorps, I believe they were born Monday or Tuesday of this week. I introduced them all to the water and they've all been eating and drinking. They seem comfortable and have started randomly zooming around with their wings out (so cute!). Lots of peeping but they're quiet when they all decide to take a nap.

My house is set to 74 and the temperature thing (zip tied on the left) in there has been fluctuating between 70-73 (not under the heating plate). I am thinking I should take that out now I know the rough temperature in there?

The food is chick starter and the water has a chick electrolyte mix in there.

I also read the heating plate should be low but high enough that they can walk underneath it. Hopefully I got that right.

(Tried to include a video but it's not allowing me)

Thank you! Appreciate any thoughts or feedback!
🐤Michelle

Attachments

• IMG_0385.jpeg
    IMG_0385.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0388.jpeg
    IMG_0388.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0386.jpeg
    IMG_0386.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0389.jpeg
    IMG_0389.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0390.jpeg
    IMG_0390.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 6
It looks good, and you’ll be searching for a screen for the top to keep them in there before you know it because they grow fast. I’d keep some plain water in there for them as well just to make sure they stay well hydrated if they don’t care for the flavor of the electrolytes. You might also consider elevating the food and water just a bit in a few days to help keep the shavings out and not have to clean it out as often. Just a little bit in height makes a big difference. Good luck, they are adorable.

Keep the heat plate in there, sounds like they are doing great! Astrolorps are such great chickens!! You seem to be doing everything correctly best of luck 😊

Hello!

I got my first chicks today. I've never had chickens before, so this is a first in all aspects for me. They arrived via USPS, and I think they arrived well. I've done lots of research, but every time I read something I learn something new.

So here is my setup, and I was looking for any advice anyone might have! They are Black Australorps, I believe they were born Monday or Tuesday of this week. I introduced them all to the water and they've all been eating and drinking. They seem comfortable and have started randomly zooming around with their wings out (so cute!). Lots of peeping but they're quiet when they all decide to take a nap.

My house is set to 74 and the temperature thing (zip tied on the left) in there has been fluctuating between 70-73 (not under the heating plate). I am thinking I should take that out now I know the rough temperature in there?

The food is chick starter and the water has a chick electrolyte mix in there.

I also read the heating plate should be low but high enough that they can walk underneath it. Hopefully I got that right.

(Tried to include a video but it's not allowing me)

Thank you! Appreciate any thoughts or feedback!
🐤Michelle
Everything looks good. Good luck. They are cuties.

Thank you all! I put in a little shallow dish of plain water and some of them are drinking that too! I’ll try elevating the food and water in a few days.

I have lots of hardwire cloth so I’ll get a piece for the top soon so they can’t escape.

:) Michelle

Back
Top Bottom