1. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    Put lots of ventilation up high in the "coop" area. Have large overhangs on the roof! Slope the roof away from the door. I would put a 6"-8" board around the bottom to contain the pine chips if you use those (something I didn't think of on my run).

JT

nminusyplusm likes this.
  2. Urbanwiscochickens

Urbanwiscochickens In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2018
    South Centeral Wisconsin
    20181015_181012.jpg
    Got the interior wall put in, using a piece of scrap from another project 20181015_181027.jpg
    Got the first wall sided, this was the easy one, no windows or doors. 20181015_181043.jpg The view from my deck, hopefully finish it up this weekend

3. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    What's the interior wall for? Looks very small in there... have fun crawling through chicken poop to get one from under the raised floor when it's sick or broody.

JT

aart likes this.
  4. Urbanwiscochickens

Urbanwiscochickens In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2018
    South Centeral Wisconsin
    The wall seperates the chicken living area from the nest box and storage area. The living size in the coop is 4x3, there will be a door on the side that exposes the whole coop for clean out. Has anyone built a nesting box that can be removed for easy cleanout?

JT[/QUOTE]

5. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    Probably could have just left the bottom open all the way across for access to the nest area for the hens. I assume you will have a floor above the nest area to divide off the storage area...

Big doors will be nice. I have a roll out nest box with a removable floor for easy cleaning. I give it a brush every week or so to clean the carpet. The eggs roll out into a holding area for clean collection.

Roll Out Nest Box Mk3 plans.

JT

IdyllwildAcres likes this.
  6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    My nest box is removable but it's fully internal. Not sure how you'd do an external one that would be safe from the elements but could also be removed... you'd almost be better off doing nestboxes in the run, in that case.

Actually I take that back. I had an external, removable nest box with interior coop access before, but it was quite literally a dog house with a tunnel that stuck into one side of the coop. It wasn't very weatherproof so the tunnel got wet whenever it rained. Got by for 2 years using that set up but I wouldn't recommend it.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably only need one nest for 3 birds.

Still, 4x3 is tight space.
    Sure, square footage meets the 'numbers' but logistically hard to fit roost and landing space in there.

8. My dozen all lay in 1 of 2 community boxes, I rarely get an egg in box 2

Gary

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How big is that community nest tho?
    Ever put fakies in the other one?

10. They are both 40" long, on #2 I hot glued the fake egg to the carpet so it will not roll out. I do get an occasional egg in the new box and I am not getting eggs on the floor of the coop so its working.

Gary

aart and jthornton like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: