First coop build

Patriot00

Chirping
May 22, 2019
Pflugerville, Tx
Hey, y'all. We just got into chickens and I am building our first coop using ideas from all over the internet. The basic rundown is it is an 8'x8' structure with a 4'x8' raised coop. The entire run is secured and it gets into the 100's here during the summer quite often (with mild winters), so I have only one solid wall on the coop (the north wall, which is made up of the two doors for clean out). Two sides are wire mesh and the front of the coop is open to the run. There are three nesting boxes and 16' of roost space on two levels, plus the edge of the coop that is open to the run. At this point, it is almost done. I hung one of the two rear doors last night. Hoping to hang the other tonight. At that point, the structure will be secured and I will just have some details to finish up: coop flooring, roost ramps, food and water systems. I am really hoping to have the chickens out there this weekend.

Right now we have 6 young birds, but two of them are either crowing hens or roosters. They've grown up together and are probably 10-12 weeks old at this point, so we will see how it goes. We will get more hens, though. We would like to have 6 layers.
20190512_195531.jpg
20190513_202838.jpg
20190513_202849.jpg
20190513_202857.jpg
20190519_200801.jpg
20190519_213337.jpg
20190525_102639.jpg
20190528_075502.jpg
20190530_084902.jpg

Hey, y'all. We just got into chickens and I am building our first coop using ideas from all over the internet. The basic rundown is it is an 8'x8' structure with a 4'x8' raised coop. The entire run is secured and it gets into the 100's here during the summer quite often (with mild winters), so I have only one solid wall on the coop (the north wall, which is made up of the two doors for clean out). Two sides are wire mesh and the front of the coop is open to the run. There are three nesting boxes and 16' of roost space on two levels, plus the edge of the coop that is open to the run. At this point, it is almost done. I hung one of the two rear doors last night. Hoping to hang the other tonight. At that point, the structure will be secured and I will just have some details to finish up: coop flooring, roost ramps, food and water systems. I am really hoping to have the chickens out there this weekend.

Right now we have 6 young birds, but two of them are either crowing hens or roosters. They've grown up together and are probably 10-12 weeks old at this point, so we will see how it goes. We will get more hens, though. We would like to have 6 layers.
View attachment 1796414 View attachment 1796416 View attachment 1796417 View attachment 1796418 View attachment 1796419 View attachment 1796420 View attachment 1796421 View attachment 1796423 View attachment 1796424
Looks very professional! You have some lucky birds. (Except for the 2 who are crowing)!

We have decided on the deep litter method, so there is a 12" wall around the bottom of the coop. The back wall hinges down, a la Carolina Coops, for clean out. Front door is a dutch door so the kids can throw them treats without getting mobbed. Right now, the sides are just 1/2" hardware cloth for summer ventilation, but I plan on making removable doors for winter. The front of the coop, which faces south, will be permanently open to the run. Winters are very mild, with the extreme lows rarely dipping into the high-teens for a few hours at a time.

Pflugerville area temperature averages:
average-temperature-united-states-of-america-pflugerville-texas-us-fahrenheit.png

We decided to build the coop under an oak tree the drops leaves for the winter for summer afternoon shade and winter sun.

Thank you! This is the biggest structure I have ever built, so I am pretty excited about how it is coming together, despite a few design oversights and that blasted PITA hardware cloth.
Hardware cloth is a pain to cut. I like your anti-dig design. Is it going to be under some rocks or pavers? Dogs digging in was my biggest problem in my last coop. I ended up pouring cement~:barnie

View attachment 1796414 View attachment 1796416 View attachment 1796417 View attachment 1796418 View attachment 1796419 View attachment 1796420 View attachment 1796421 View attachment 1796423 View attachment 1796424
I am thoroughly impressed with your setup. You could build/sell these as a side job!

Hardware cloth is a pain to cut. I like your anti-dig design. Is it going to be under some rocks or pavers? Dogs digging in was my biggest problem in my last coop. I ended up pouring cement~:barnie

The cutting was the "easiest" part for me, though nothing about hardware cloth is really easy. Getting the smaller sections to lay flat wasn't bad, but getting the longer sections on the run portion where they go floor to ceiling to lay flat/straight was nigh impossible.

We are talking about putting some landscaping rocks around the skirt, or some potted plants. The idea is that the grass will grow up through the mesh and it will visually disappear. My biggest concern is the neighbors' dogs. Our fences are old and weak and they have broken through the bottom of the fence in a few places. I have patched/covered the holes and I am also installing an electrified fence wire along that entire side of the yard. Hopefully that will keep our dog and chickens away from our side of the fence and will also serve to discourage the neighbor dogs from coming all the way through if they do open up another hole.

I am thoroughly impressed with your setup. You could build/sell these as a side job!

Thank you! After buying and assembling, I certainly understand why the nicer coops you can buy are so expensive!

The cutting was the "easiest" part for me, though nothing about hardware cloth is really easy. Getting the smaller sections to lay flat wasn't bad, but getting the longer sections on the run portion where they go floor to ceiling to lay flat/straight was nigh impossible.

We are talking about putting some landscaping rocks around the skirt, or some potted plants. The idea is that the grass will grow up through the mesh and it will visually disappear. My biggest concern is the neighbors' dogs. Our fences are old and weak and they have broken through the bottom of the fence in a few places. I have patched/covered the holes and I am also installing an electrified fence wire along that entire side of the yard. Hopefully that will keep our dog and chickens away from our side of the fence and will also serve to discourage the neighbor dogs from coming all the way through if they do open up another hole.

Thank you! After buying and assembling, I certainly understand why the nicer coops you can buy are so expensive!
My next coop is getting a nose burning wire all around. I went to a friend's house with my Brittany Spaniel, bird crazy dog. I told him I was afraid to bring her because of his chickens, he said not to worry! The dog hit that wire at full speed with her nose, she must have gone straight up 6 feet. Dog would not even look in the direction of the chicken run all week we stayed there! Ever since, that has been my plan for the next flock. New flock is in the works, so that is why I am admiring your coop. There is one guy on here, do a search for "electric fence", who put the hardware cloth like you did to make sure the predator gets good ground contact to be sure they get zapped. He doesn't cover it from what I can see.

Our fences are old and weak and they have broken through the bottom of the fence in a few places. I have patched/covered the holes and I am also installing an electrified fence wire along that entire side of the yard. Hopefully that will keep our dog and chickens away from our side of the fence and will also serve to discourage the neighbor dogs from coming all the way through if they do open up another hole

It's most satisfying to sit in a chair with your chickens in your lap and a cold beer and watch a strange dog come up and sniff the hot wire on your fence... and never see it again near your chicken yard.

Excellent job on the coop.

JT

Back
Top Bottom