First coop.

Thats one thing im working on is for ventilation. It has 2 vents on each side but they are not very big. I was thinking about making a door inside the person door that stays locked shut so i can leave the main door open all day but they still need more ventilation at night so im not sure where to go about that just yet.

I would suggest cutting a door in for the chickens rather than using the window. This was you could put hardware mesh over the outside of the window and leave it open at night for added ventilation.

Thats one thing im working on is for ventilation. It has 2 vents on each side but they are not very big. I was thinking about making a door inside the person door that stays locked shut so i can leave the main door open all day but they still need more ventilation at night so im not sure where to go about that just yet.
Yeah, those tiny gable vents are not gonna cut it.

I'm wondering what is covering the ends of the rafters on the outside,
looks like there is a tiny soffit there under the roof overhang that you may be able to remove and replace with HC.

i have a similar shed with 2 gable vents and my ventilation wasn't enough. i went ahead and added some vents on the opposite walls right below the eave and once the snow melts off the roof going to add to roof vents to get rid of the hot air trapped in the upper parts of the ceiling. Looks like a great start to a great coop!

So I took a look up at the eaves and it is just some soffit covering it. So I plan on removing parts of it on both sides of the shed and putting hardware cloth over the parts that i make open. Thanks for the tips so far. I dont want to cut the whole there because the way ive built it the part under the window is gonna be where the nest boxes will be. Here is what I got done today before it got dark.

Also got some done on the sides for the roosting area but was too dark. Will finish that part tomorrow and post pictures of that. As for the nesting boxes though on that middle shelf. I am clueless on what i should do to make about 6 boxes right there and how to do it.

So I took a look up at the eaves and it is just some soffit covering it.
So I plan on removing parts of it on both sides of the shed and putting hardware cloth over the parts that i make open. .
Great!!
You might want to put larger gable vents in too.

When are you getting your chicks?
You might want to slow down and think out the whole setup before building...
...well you might not want to, but I would haha!

I plan on getting them in about 2 weeks or so. everything will be done and ready by then. I did kind of plan it all out before i started .using the Window seemed like a good idea to me.

So I took a look up at the eaves and it is just some soffit covering it. So I plan on removing parts of it on both sides of the shed and putting hardware cloth over the parts that i make open. Thanks for the tips so far. I dont want to cut the whole there because the way ive built it the part under the window is gonna be where the nest boxes will be. Here is what I got done today before it got dark.

Also got some done on the sides for the roosting area but was too dark. Will finish that part tomorrow and post pictures of that. As for the nesting boxes though on that middle shelf. I am clueless on what i should do to make about 6 boxes right there and how to do it.

For nesting boxes, you might consider inserting some removable vertical plywood dividers into those middle shelves to create some smaller private spaces. Removable, so that you can rearrange in the future as you gain experience and see how they adjust to the nesting boxes. I build three boxes for my 6 hens, and they ALL want to use the same one. Perhaps nail on a "lip" to the front to keep nesting material / hay from falling out. I'll try to attach a photo of my nest boxes to see if that will be helpful to you. I also added some plastic dish pans with the fronts cut out to set into the spaces - makes for easy cleaning as needed. Good luck!

I live near Wilson NC the weather is up and down around here so I will more than likely be adding more ventilation to it.

This is what I did for the roosting area. How do you think this will work? Should be easy cleaning and i did this on both sides so there is 32ft of roosting area not counting the entire floor is wide open.

Back
Top Bottom