First Cornish X purchase

SowdersHomestead

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 9, 2011
Fostoria, Ohio
I'll be making my first Cornish X buy this week. Anyone have any suggestions for a new egg? Things you learned not to do to make it a success. I've been talking to Meyer Hatcheries in Polk, Ohio. Anyone buy from them?

Thanks in advance

We just bought from McMurray for the second time this year. Birds have grown fast ... approaching two pounds in only 3 weeks.

We're looking at trying Meyer's next time. Update us on how they do.

Be prepared for lots of food, lots of water, and lots of poo. I recommend doing small lots a few times a year rather than trying to raise and butcher a lot of birds at once. We have 14 (1 died early). Will probably do 10 on the next lot though.

welcome-byc.gif

I don't really have much rwcomendtions.. As I am, still so new to the chicken world.. Depending on your cliement a heat lamp on for 24 hrs before they arrive.. Is supposed to help with leg problems..
I'm sure you will love eating nice home grown chicken, Good for you! Love my choice to do so!

We just got our first batch from Meyers. All came alive, but I think one got mixed in and is a leghorn instead. So far they all are doing great. I was having a major problem with food and water (they got stuck in the feeder, and wet drinking) solved the problem with an ice cream tub over the feeder, and rocks in the waterer.

I have raised a couple of batches of 100 and would offer this suggestion on the 1st day put a teaspoon of raw honey and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar(organic with the mother) after this 1st gallon is gone i just add the acv to the water ....i dont have the links but you can goggle acv..it has lots of benefits for them an us for that matter...dont know how many chicks you have raised ..so you probably know to dip thier beak in the water as you take them out of the box and put them in the brooder....people have different goals for weight gains and soforth but i after the 3rd week i only have the light on a couple of hours at night from 11pm-1am ....slows them down a bit and prevents heart attacks and such...good luck with your broilers after doing the research even if they didnt taste 100 times better ...they are so much healthier for you and your family it is well worth the effort...happy hatching
jumpy.gif

It won't take long. These are ours at various stages.

This is day 17 with them and they were already over a pound and a half.
98041_339818_2433497046309_1518177212_2675025_797877665_o.jpg

This is day 24 (today) and they are 2 pounds.
98041_332038_2458406869039_1518177212_2695413_546093590_o.jpg

No, they aren't pretty birds ... and they smell ... and they poo A LOT!! We change bedding three times a day still and we keep them off food for 8 hours during afternoon and evening with the light off for a couple of hours. AMAZING growers.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom