First crow sounds like...a HONK?!?

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
I swear I have a rooster/goose hybrid!! Chickens are 7-weeks-old today and I SWEAR one of my Dixie Rainbow boys let out a really awkward HONK! I think I have a goose instead of a Roo!!
Is this a normal first crow?

I can see where the first couple of crows can sound kind of weird but normally as they mature more they'll get it better. One of mine is 4 years old and sounds like it's screaming.

I swear I have a rooster/goose hybrid!! Chickens are 7-weeks-old today and I SWEAR one of my Dixie Rainbow boys let out a really awkward HONK! I think I have a goose instead of a Roo!!
Is this a normal first crow?
Ha ha ha ha !!
gig.gif

That's hysterical! My little cockerels sound like strangled cats when they start to crow.
More like a choking croak!
lau.gif
. It gets better as they get older until they get that lusty crow !
celebrate.gif

Best,
Karen

Yup...definitely not a fluke...another CROAK again today...reminds me of the freshmen boys that I teach while their voices change! Too funny!! I really should tape this "noise"--it's such a crazy sound!

Easy to remember their first crow, though--exactly 7-weeks-old to the day!

Sarah

Located the culprit!! Full on crow today--one of my Brown Leghorns!! Sounding much better--like a real "Cock-A-Doodle-Doo!"
(Considering I still have 43 straight-run chicks, I have a feeling this might get old really quickly! But for now it's SO COOL!)

Ha ha - I know exactly what you're talking about. Ours did the same thing. It takes them a few weeks but eventually, with practice, he'll have a strong healthy crow.

Back
Top Bottom