First Cull, Didn't go so well

Please don't read this if it's too hard, I am going to be honest and it may be too graphic to some readers.
Tonight my husband and I had to make the decision to cull my sick hen. Opal was my favorite hen, raised from a chick, she was such a good girl, a sweetheart.
I have done research since owning hens, knowing some day there may be an emergency, and I wanted a little knowledge about culling methods sitting in my brain just incase.
I felt cervical dislocation, one of the more humaine choices for us.
Tonight, before the act, we watched videos, practiced on our arms, and read articles. We felt it would be fast.
It didn't work out that way 😭
Poor sweet Opal, My husband tried, he pulled as instructed but her head wouldn't dislocate! He tried a few more times, I think Opal went unconscious a few times, but she didn't die!
We were horrified but had to continue, we were too far into this. I tried, I couldn't feel the crack or dislocation like they said I would.
We laid her down, and thought she was dead, but I could see her breathing! OMG! What does it take to do this? We were following the directions but couldn't get it done!
I grabbed a broom stick, laid her on her belly and tons my husband to pull her body. Wings started flapping, he said he felt the pop,.
I couldn't help to feel terrified that she was still alive, but she was gone.
I NEVER want to do this again! I can't stop crying. I know her suffering is done now, but my goodness, this was not a quick peaceful death that I was hoping for her.
I feel absolutely horrible! My poor sweet little girl. 😭😭😭😭
I don't know what I will do now if another emergency arises. I can't figure out what we did so wrong.
I'm sorry but I had to get this off my chest, all I can see is her little face, 😭View attachment 2242400
I'm sorry you had to experience this as well. When I knew one of my chickens was ill and would need to say goodbye I also read about it and watched videos. However, I knew I would not be able to do this humanely. I'm a city girl, and not raised on a farm where this is SOP. So, whenever I have to put a chicken down I suck it up and take her to my vet. Then, I bring her home and bury her here. That way I know they don't suffer.

Please don't read this if it's too hard, I am going to be honest and it may be too graphic to some readers.
Tonight my husband and I had to make the decision to cull my sick hen. Opal was my favorite hen, raised from a chick, she was such a good girl, a sweetheart.
I have done research since owning hens, knowing some day there may be an emergency, and I wanted a little knowledge about culling methods sitting in my brain just incase.
I felt cervical dislocation, one of the more humaine choices for us.
Tonight, before the act, we watched videos, practiced on our arms, and read articles. We felt it would be fast.
It didn't work out that way 😭
Poor sweet Opal, My husband tried, he pulled as instructed but her head wouldn't dislocate! He tried a few more times, I think Opal went unconscious a few times, but she didn't die!
We were horrified but had to continue, we were too far into this. I tried, I couldn't feel the crack or dislocation like they said I would.
We laid her down, and thought she was dead, but I could see her breathing! OMG! What does it take to do this? We were following the directions but couldn't get it done!
I grabbed a broom stick, laid her on her belly and tons my husband to pull her body. Wings started flapping, he said he felt the pop,.
I couldn't help to feel terrified that she was still alive, but she was gone.
I NEVER want to do this again! I can't stop crying. I know her suffering is done now, but my goodness, this was not a quick peaceful death that I was hoping for her.
I feel absolutely horrible! My poor sweet little girl. 😭😭😭😭
I don't know what I will do now if another emergency arises. I can't figure out what we did so wrong.
I'm sorry but I had to get this off my chest, all I can see is her little face, 😭View attachment 2242400
Oh how awful for you. My husband and I discussed if he could do the deed before we rescued our girls. She’s at peace now and that’s the main thing.

I am so sorry you had to endure the heartache from this.
Unfortunately I think many other chicken owners have experienced the same as you did with your opal.
In my opinion the axe is the best way to end their life. It is so fast they don't feel a thing. It's a mess but I much rather deal with blood than an animal suffering.
Hugs for you and so sorry she got to the point of having to be culled.

I’m so sorry! This is so awful for all involved!! A few weeks ago I had an old hen that I believe had Egg Yolk Peritonitis thanks to all the good information I received from the kind people on this forum.

I cared for her as best I could for a few days and realized she was not going to recover and I did not want her to suffer any longer. I wrestled with the best way to humanely euthanize her. In the end, I called the veterinary office that takes care of my dog and cat. They were so kind and agreed to euthanize her for us, even though they don’t routinely care for chickens or exotics. They charged me $25, and my sweet old hen did not suffer. Maybe this could be a good option for you in the future. I understand the cost associated is prohibitive for those with large farms, and some people can take care of it themselves. I know I cannot. For those of us backyard chicken farmers, this can be a really good option. Again, sorry you experienced this! Hugs!

Back
Top Bottom