First cull.....when does the guilt go away?

Hello,

I am sorry about your chick.
sad.png
We went through this last night. We have only had chicks for a week, but one was sick and clearly suffering. My husband is such a gentle soul, but he had to end the poor thing's suffering. I know he is really beating himself up over it, and feels tremendous guilt. He did the right thing, and you did too. I don't think that I could do it - I get too emotional and attached. Doing the right thing isn't always easy.

You feel guilty because your a good chicken mama.. as you get more comfortable in that knowledge-- the guilt might subside.
smile.png
I haven't had to cull a chick yet, but hope I'm able to find your courage and strength when I do. *Big Hug*

You did the single best thing you could do for your bird.
I had a cat for many years, who, I swear, was a human trapped in a cat's body. I've never seen another like him. As he got older, he developed diabetes, and on his last day (at 17 years of age) he started seizuring. He rested in-between, but seized repeatedly, crying while doing so. Took him to the vet and he was euthanized. When he passed, I got such a sudden blast of gratitude from him, I couldn't believe it. I didn't expect anything except the emptiness I felt with our little calico girl's death. We had done the right thing. I don't know if you believe in this sort-of thing, or not, but I didn't expect it, and yet there it was.
You did the right thing, and if chickens have the capacity to feel gratitude, (I don't know if they do, or not) I'm sure your baby felt that, and probably just relief, and absence of pain if they can't.
I know it was really hard for you, but you did stop the suffering for an animal that could not help itself.
hugs.gif

I searched cull on this forum and this thread come up first. I am pondering the idea of culling my existing flock of 3 and starting over with a fresh flock of chicks, but the thought of culling my old birds bothers me, particularly when my 4yr old daughter adores these chickens... but, I can't start a new flock unless I have another coop, which at this time I do not. I figured starting with new birds would be better for egg production cause these old birds have slowed down.

I was thinking I'd do the funnel method, but honestly, I don't want to do it, cause they were not raised as meat birds nor are they sick and deserving of culling, but my eventual end goal is to turn my home into a homestead, mini farm with self sufficiency in mind and I need to start thinking of my animals as food and not as pets.

ALl of us have been there or will have to one day. I dread my first. You know your chicken is at peace now, and soon you will follow.

Back
Top Bottom