First culling

So sorry! I also have horses and chickens, and only once had a hen killed by being stepped on. And my favorite hen got behind the tractor and was killed, another bad event. Generally things go well with the horses and chickens, but once in a while, not. Mary

So sorry! I also have horses and chickens, and only once had a hen killed by being stepped on. And my favorite hen got behind the tractor and was killed, another bad event. Generally things go well with the horses and chickens, but once in a while, not. Mary

Especially when one, or the other, seems to have a death wish. There are a couple in our current flock who are determined to get themselves killed while out wandering in the pasture. It generally goes okay until horse or chicken startles the other and then pandemonium ensues with birds and horses going in all directions. Growing up I had several hens who you would find perched quite happily on the backs of the horses out in the field.

Congrats on culling the cockerels, and condolences on the pullet.

I'm wondering what you saw that lead you to say she was a great layer? Is it possible she had a reproductive issue that led to the prolapse?

Congrats on culling the cockerels, and condolences on the pullet.

I'm wondering what you saw that lead you to say she was a great layer? Is it possible she had a reproductive issue that led to the prolapse?

2 things: She had about a dozen eggs in her in various stages of growth from pea to golf ball and we only got 3 eggs today instead of usual 4. Don't know about possibility of reproductive factor. Not to be too graphic but most of her intestines were out and there was a fair amount of bruising.

Back
Top Bottom