1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First dead hen at 8 months old ~ do we need to report this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SLKchickens, Mar 16, 2016.

1. SLKchickens

SLKchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2015
    Wisconsin
    We're in WI and had some wicked bad lightening storms last night. I went out this morning to find a White Rock dead under the roosting bar. She is always closest to the outside window of the coop. She did not appear sick yesterday and none of the other hens appear to be sick. All eating, drinking and nice red combs. No other real changes. I have NO idea why she died. Do we need to get an autopsy or find out? How can we dispose of her? My husband said the trash. We only have .75 acres and he doesn't want to have dead chicken all over...

So...
    No blood
    No sign of struggle
    No trauma
    Not sick yesterday
    No birds seem sick
    No unusual droppings
    Huge thunderstorm last night and she was by the outside window

My other thoughts go to the migratory birds are back and really just picked up returning her last week. Also, my friend who is looking at getting backyard chickens came over on Monday and she was in the coop with me. I didn't think to ask if she had been to other coops with those same boots.

Or...just take care of the dead hen and move on? Thoughts? This is our first flock and first dead chicken (we had 8 hens), so I'm not sure what to do from here.
    Thanks!!!
    Katie

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    It's not very likely. Maybe she died from shock? Sorry for your loss. I usually bury my losses, but we have thrown a dead chick away to prevent spread of cocci.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by