FIRST DOG ATTACK!!!! Im furious!!! no help needed just a vent!!!

wow-this was so helpful thank you very much-I will let everyone know how things are going-also-because of that my other 2 chickens did not lay there usual eggs and I have to short someone 2 eggs for delivery-good thing I only promised nine-I wanted to send alot more as a bonus-but now I can only send 2-3 extra's!

Oh, that is so wrong. If a tenant has a dog the landlord cannot take the dog or it is theft. Eviction is possible but takes time. Hold the person accountable who commits the crime please.

Ok Claude let me explain what I said. If the landlord knows a tenant has a dangerous dog and does nothing about it. He/she/corporation, the landlord can be sued. I am a former letter carrier so I know some things about dog ownership and the like that many don't.
The short version. Letter carrier bit, tenant on welfare no money to sue for, Corporation/complex owner knew of the dog's reputation and was sued, Carrier won $$$$$.
I was not advocating the landlord take the dog. If your a landlord you should be aware of your accountability/liability for the actions of your tenants or lack there of. What you do is your business, evict/make them get rid of the dog/whatever.
Everyone should understand what you can do about renters and their animals.​

Quote:
Ok Claude let me explain what I said. If the landlord knows a tenant has a dangerous dog and does nothing about it. He/she/corporation, the landlord can be sued. I am a former letter carrier so I know some things about dog ownership and the like that many don't.
The short version. Letter carrier bit, tenant on welfare no money to sue for, Corporation/complex owner knew of the dog's reputation and was sued, Carrier won $$$$$.
I was not advocating the landlord take the dog. If your a landlord you should be aware of your accountability/liability for the actions of your tenants or lack there of. What you do is your business, evict/make them get rid of the dog/whatever.
Everyone should understand what you can do about renters and their animals.

If a landlord knows a dangerous/nuisance dog lives on their property, the law assumes that the landlord approves of the animal and they assume some liability. If a landlord is aware of the dangerous propensity of a dog and takes no action, they have basically given their blessings to let it live on the property. The same applies to property owners that allow others to visit them and bring dangerous/nuisance dog with them.

As a landlord, I require a tenant with a dog to carry renter's insurance (which includes liability insurance). I know that my current tenant has insurance. This puts the tenant's insurance as primary. I also do a background check on the dog (as well as the tenant). I also want to meet the dog and owner together to see how they interact, what the level of training is, etc.

My tenant's dog would probably kill my chickens if given the chance, but my tenant and I have discussed this, and the dog is under control. I have a good tenant. An accident could still happen, but it could with my own dog, too.

Back
Top Bottom