1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First double yolker!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bills, Apr 17, 2008.

1. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I couldn't believe the size of one of the eggs my hens layed for me. :eek: It was twice the size of normal, and couldn't even begin to fit in an egg carton. When I showed my wife, she said, " that must have hurt".[​IMG]

I thought by the size that it must be a double yolker, and sure enough when I cracked it into the frypan, it was. Both yolks looked to be an average size.

I had noticed that the eggs started getting bigger and bigger, and figured that it was the hens maturing, as the first few were pretty small. I hope though for the comfort of the hens, they don't get any bigger than this last one....[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  2. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Has anyone ever hatched a double yolker. Twins?

3. chickenfeed

chickenfeed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    North Central Iowa
    Could 2 chicks survive in one egg shell?

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It is possible to hatch them but it generally takes some extra help at hatch time and a lot of luck. SpeckledHen attempted one back a while ago - here's the thread on it. It was a very interesting process, although she didn't have a successful hatch.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21464

5. ascott1978

ascott1978 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Joshua, Tx
    Maybe the first chick has more to grow with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by