First Duck EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McChics

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2015
Surprise! yesterday my wife found our first duck egg in the hutch. It was slightly bigger than our average chicken eggs. I found one this morning, it was slightly smaller. I'm feeling like we did end up with four ducks - all female. No drake feathers anywhere yet. Now, I've got to watch their pools for any eggs when I clean them out...right?

I designed the hutch off the side of the chicken coop to support THREE ducks, but we ended up with 4. I know I should keep them locked in there longer in the morning to encourage all the eggs to be left in the hutch - but it is only about 32" by 60" and they poop like monsters...so I like to get them out as soon as I can.

In any event...wanted to share the great news!!!!!!!!!!!!

We got them back at the end of April. One is two weeks younger than the other three. We have two Pekins, one Cayuga, and one Rouen. Was a happy sad day. We re-homed our two new chickens (Barry the rooster and Amelia the hen). They were not working out well for us, but they are now being integrated into a 34 bird flock where they will have many more friends.

We plan on eating them. I bought duck eggs a couple months ago from Fresh Thyme. We made several meals from them and enjoyed them.

Attachments

• 13158B84-E3FE-44C6-8EBE-D799138EBF95.jpeg
    13158B84-E3FE-44C6-8EBE-D799138EBF95.jpeg
    778 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom