First Duck EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McChics

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2015
Surprise! yesterday my wife found our first duck egg in the hutch. It was slightly bigger than our average chicken eggs. I found one this morning, it was slightly smaller. I'm feeling like we did end up with four ducks - all female. No drake feathers anywhere yet. Now, I've got to watch their pools for any eggs when I clean them out...right?

I designed the hutch off the side of the chicken coop to support THREE ducks, but we ended up with 4. I know I should keep them locked in there longer in the morning to encourage all the eggs to be left in the hutch - but it is only about 32" by 60" and they poop like monsters...so I like to get them out as soon as I can.

In any event...wanted to share the great news!!!!!!!!!!!!

We plan on eating them. I bought duck eggs a couple months ago from Fresh Thyme. We made several meals from them and enjoyed them.

Attachments

• 13158B84-E3FE-44C6-8EBE-D799138EBF95.jpeg
    13158B84-E3FE-44C6-8EBE-D799138EBF95.jpeg
    778 KB · Views: 21
We got them back at the end of April. One is two weeks younger than the other three. We have two Pekins, one Cayuga, and one Rouen. Was a happy sad day. We re-homed our two new chickens (Barry the rooster and Amelia the hen). They were not working out well for us, but they are now being integrated into a 34 bird flock where they will have many more friends.

So, we clearly have all four girls are we are getting four eggs a day pretty regular. But we just found this stash in the yard in a flower bed. There is a variety of eggs here so more than one bird doing it. For giggles and grins I gave them the float test. All four sank right away. May still be good. Didn’t do the crack and smell or view for any discoloring.

Attachments

• 7AD8849F-E830-4EF0-8380-A6CDBECF1CF1.jpeg
    7AD8849F-E830-4EF0-8380-A6CDBECF1CF1.jpeg
    720.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom