First duck eggs

abritton77

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Broken Bow
I just set my first duck eggs. Bought some Khaki Campbell's off e-bay. Hopefully it will work out.

Also wonder how duck eggs taste? Are they similar to chicken eggs?

Yaay! Let us know how it goes!
celebrate.gif
thumbsup.gif

I too have some duck eggs in my incubator. 3 Muscovy eggs.
smile.png
Today is day 5 and I'm still not seeing anything in there yet when I am candling. Last night I could almost make out a faint pink ring which I know is a bad sign so hopefully I am imagining it. I will wait a couple more days and try again. Let me know how yours turn out.

Guess I spoke too soon!! I candled them today and all three have a nice start of blood vessels and I could easily see the hearts beating!

I have pictures but I don't know how to attach them
sad.png

Jess

Well, since this is my first time hatching eggs and I basically have just been following directions I'm not positive. I have placed my hygrometer in different spots and it varies greatly from the top of the water well to the corner. I have the duck eggs over the well and it measures about 70% there.

In my experience duck eggs taste a bit eggier than chicken eggs and taste noticeably different when compared to storebought eggs. They have an almost overwhelming taste to those used to storebought chicken eggs. They are good, but they are rich and stronge tasting a good way. Start with scrambled eggs and not overmedium or anything runny. This will give you an idea of the taste without being overwhelmed by it.

Just my opinion. I also believe that goats milk does not taste a bit like cows milk, but like goats milk.

If you like rich, gooey brownies, then substitute duck eggs for chicken eggs. The difference with shock you.

I am finally getting fertile duck eggs. They are pekin/buff crosses, but I don't really care. I have to wait about a week before I can set them and I will be hatching some for the Easter hatch. I brought over my pekin drake from mom's to go in the pen with Daisy and Daisy, a buff and a pekin. I can't remember which one i named Daisy, so they are both daisy.

Quote:
To attach pics you just click on "uploads"...upload the pics and it will give you a code. Copy and paste the code in the thread and you've got pictures
smile.png
Good luck on your hatch!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom