1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by abritton77, Mar 7, 2011.

1. abritton77

abritton77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    I just set my first duck eggs. Bought some Khaki Campbell's off e-bay. Hopefully it will work out.

Also wonder how duck eggs taste? Are they similar to chicken eggs?

2. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Yaay! Let us know how it goes![​IMG][​IMG]

3. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Yep, they taste just like chicken eggs only bigger and are great for baking with.

4. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    I too have some duck eggs in my incubator. 3 Muscovy eggs. [​IMG] Today is day 5 and I'm still not seeing anything in there yet when I am candling. Last night I could almost make out a faint pink ring which I know is a bad sign so hopefully I am imagining it. I will wait a couple more days and try again. Let me know how yours turn out.

5. ItsAZOO32

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Guess I spoke too soon!! I candled them today and all three have a nice start of blood vessels and I could easily see the hearts beating!

I have pictures but I don't know how to attach them [​IMG]

Jess

6. abritton77

abritton77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    Quote:What are you running for humidity?

7. ItsAZOO32

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Well, since this is my first time hatching eggs and I basically have just been following directions I'm not positive. I have placed my hygrometer in different spots and it varies greatly from the top of the water well to the corner. I have the duck eggs over the well and it measures about 70% there.

8. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    In my experience duck eggs taste a bit eggier than chicken eggs and taste noticeably different when compared to storebought eggs. They have an almost overwhelming taste to those used to storebought chicken eggs. They are good, but they are rich and stronge tasting a good way. Start with scrambled eggs and not overmedium or anything runny. This will give you an idea of the taste without being overwhelmed by it.

Just my opinion. I also believe that goats milk does not taste a bit like cows milk, but like goats milk.

If you like rich, gooey brownies, then substitute duck eggs for chicken eggs. The difference with shock you.

I am finally getting fertile duck eggs. They are pekin/buff crosses, but I don't really care. I have to wait about a week before I can set them and I will be hatching some for the Easter hatch. I brought over my pekin drake from mom's to go in the pen with Daisy and Daisy, a buff and a pekin. I can't remember which one i named Daisy, so they are both daisy.

9. missmaryb

missmaryb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    Quote:To attach pics you just click on "uploads"...upload the pics and it will give you a code. Copy and paste the code in the thread and you've got pictures [​IMG] Good luck on your hatch!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  10. ItsAZOO32

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Why thank you!!

Here is one of my 3 Muscovy Eggs on day 6 [​IMG] Looking good I think! My first group of eggs so if you see something curious, let me know. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by