First Duck Hatch - Please help me 'sit on my hands'

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NewAussieChook, Nov 14, 2015.

1. NewAussieChook

NewAussieChook Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Will I hurt my others my helping Egg 3 Lacrystol? Thanks for the advice re misting etc. :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  2. NewAussieChook

Jan 24, 2014
    I appreciate your reply! Would I keep the water away from Egg 1 - who is unzipping right now? Or that's ok if some accidentally goes in it?

3. NewAussieChook

Jan 24, 2014
    Egg 1 is making big progress now. Beak is really visible now. Shall I wait until it's finished doing it's thing to rescue Egg 3?

[​IMG]

You can see that Egg 3 is still breathing when you shine a light on the egg.

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I would let that one continue before going in again. Condensation is usually too much humidity. 48 hours is not uncommon so don't panic yet.

1 person likes this.
  5. NewAussieChook

Jan 24, 2014
    Thank you :) . Not at all worried about Egg 1 (the one with the beak) - he/she is doing their thing really well! It's membrane is yellowing too - but not having any troubles with it.

Egg 3 has made a couple of attempts to wriggle/turn/move more membrane but can't at this stage. Still breathing.

I managed to candle Egg 5 (other back-to-front one) without opening the incubator and it's also still breathing.

I'll let Egg 1 do it's thing before attempting to rescue Egg 3. :)

6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    5 concerns me more than 3. Looks like it pipped toward the floor? I see the chip that fell off, but do I see a little bump (where the chip may have been) on the underside?

Also, maybe its just perspective from the pics, but is the inner area higher than the outer area? I mean, does the floor of the bator slope downward from the center out?

7. NewAussieChook

Jan 24, 2014
    Yep - I thought I'd already lost Egg 5 - but you can still see it moving in the egg. It's the most awkward pip I've ever seen!! It has a large air sac on the other side - looks like a perfect one after candling.

The photos are awkward sorry. Bator slopes from inner to outer (outer being higher).

When I am able to get into the bator - should I turn Egg 5 around or even help it?

Thanks for your help! :)

8. NewAussieChook

Jan 24, 2014
    On closer inspection - Egg 5 has lost another bit of egg and although I can't see properly, I too can see the bump - quite big, not sure if it's broken through though.

9. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Sounds like its doing ok, but it wouldn't hurt to turn it with the pip on top, when you get the opportunity. Hows #1 now?

10. NewAussieChook

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks. I'll do that. Egg 1 is doing really well. Nearly there!

[​IMG]

How long should I leave Egg 1 after it's hatched, before opening the incubator to assist Egg 3?

Thanks for all your help. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by