First egg and a ?.....(pic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Steve, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

I was thrilled to see the first egg ever in the nest boxes this morning after I let the chickens out of the coop, I have no idea which chicken laid it but I have one that was standing right next to my feet just cackling up a storm like she is saying...'see, I did my job"....she jumped back in the very nest box the egg was in when I first noticed it this morning.

The egg is smaller than I suspected a egg would be, but I wondered if a egg tends to be smaller from newly made "mommas"? I have Isa Browns, ( the breed of the chicken mentioned above) Buff Orpingtons and Ameracaunas.

[​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Congratulations [​IMG]

3. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    They will get bigger.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Most first pullet eggs are small. You will see them get larger as your girls mature.

Yaaaayy for 1st eggs! [​IMG]

5. Steve

Thanks, I told my wife before I read your replies, that I would hope they get bigger.....

Thanks again.

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Pullet eggs are small. However, or hardworking hen Olympia who is a little over 1 year now recently gave us a pullet-sized egg. poor girl. Now she's back to normal- any idea what caused this?

7. Steve

Just had to go look again.....sure enough another egg, identical to the first one.

Almost enough for a omlet.....[​IMG]

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by