First egg, and a question about egglaying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bootsuu, Sep 19, 2009.

1. bootsuu

bootsuu Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    Utah
    Hi y'all!!

I'm kinda rushed today so don't have time to search for an answer to my question, so I'll ask. I got my first egg every on Thursday, and it's Saturday. When should I expect another one? Should I be worried? How soon until they start coming like clockwork?

It's a little bitty one, but here's a picture. My egg is the green one, sitting next to a store-bought Large size egg:

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help!

Boots

2. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

my chickens have been laying now for about 6 weeks and i just got them down like clock work , every afternoon when i let them out i know ill get 5 eggs from one coop and 2 eggs from another coop . LIKE CLOCKWORK

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats on the first egg.....Every chicken is different, some 'follow the instructions in the manual', others don't. I would guess you should have another one soon but [​IMG] Pretty egg, I found the first egg today too, about the same size!!![​IMG]

4. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    Congrats! What a pretty egg! No clue on when you'll get your next one, like fldiver97, I got my first one today too [​IMG]

5. bootsuu

bootsuu Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    Utah
    congrats on your first eggs! I was so excited to get mine that I totally forgot to post.

Yay!

6. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    From what I've read on here it seems to take a few weeks for them to get the mechanics down, and when they do, then something will likely disrupt all their new found knowledge like molt or something [​IMG] Is that an olive colored egg? Hmm, we need a jealous smilee I think... [​IMG] I don't even have any eggs from my 21 weekers yet, and you get an olive egg, grrr. Congratulations hun!!! [​IMG]

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I want green eggs too! My EE isn't laying yet.

Hurray for you! [​IMG]

8. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

According to most info out there, it takes about three days to make two eggs.
    When the girls start laying, you can expect erratic patterns till they hit full stride and get regular, as far as time, it varies from chicken to chicken.

9. WitksChicks

WitksChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Central CT
    Congrats on your first egg.

I just got my first one yesterday morning from one of my RIR's and my second one today from, I think a different one.

Congrats again.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations on your first egg. It's soooo eggciting... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by