First egg and then no more??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DebFitz, Jan 9, 2015.

1. DebFitz

DebFitz New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Shelton WA
    My first hen laid her first egg Tuesday. Wednesday she didn't act interested in the nesting boxes. Yesterday she climbed in and out but no egg. The same again today ... in and out but no egg. Could she be egg bound? What should I do, if anything?

TIA for any advice.

Deb

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If she just goes in and out she may just still be trying them out for size. It can be an indication of egg binding. Does she act distressed, cloaca pulsing or making unusual noises? Those are signs too. If not, I wouldn't worry.
    It takes a while to get eggs regularly. Youngsters ovulation isn't regular.
    If you really suspect egg binding. Give the pullet a hot bath massaging the abdomen and then lubricate the vent with your finger dipped in olive oil or some other good lubricant - nothing mineral.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd give it a few days..new layers are not always consistent and they can act really goofy when they first start laying.
    It can take up to a month or so for them to get things really rolling, and you may see some funky eggs and behavior during that time.

Some birds don't lay every day, but only a few times week.

What breed is she?
    As long as she's active and moving around OK, she's probably not egg bound.

4. DebFitz

DebFitz New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Shelton WA
    Yay! She's fine! She laid another egg!

Thanks for the advice all ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by