gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
Proud to announce I received my first egg this morning! :yesss:

Weighing in at 1.7 oz (48 g). Well formed small brown egg just shy of medium weight. Day 130 or 18 1/2 weeks from when I picked up the chickens at the store. I did not see the chicken that laid the egg, but my ISA brown was in the nest box at the time I opened up the coop.

My wife says I am so proud that I act like I laid the egg myself. Anyway, first egg photos following.

On September 1, I put my 3 dollar store dish bin nest boxes in the coop, filled with pine shavings, and 2 fake wooden eggs in each nest. This morning, you can see the middle nest box has a third, small, brown egg (bottom of the nest box).

20190903_095102.jpg

A better closeup. The real egg is on the bottom and the 2 larger eggs are fake.

20190903_095008.jpg

I have not figured out the exact cost of my egg production per dozen eggs, but so far I estimate it has cost me about $1000 per egg on day one! Hope to bring the cost per egg down in the coming weeks, but never got the chickens to save money on eggs. First egg looks lonely in this egg carton, but hope to add more soon.

20190903_095406.jpg

Finally, here is the egg size chart I am going by to size my eggs. If anyone has a better chart, please let me know. Thanks for letting me share.

egg-size-chart.jpg

Proud to announce I received my first egg this morning! :yesss:

Weighing in at 1.7 oz (48 g). Well formed small brown egg just shy of medium weight. Day 130 or 18 1/2 weeks from when I picked up the chickens at the store. I did not see the chicken that laid the egg, but my ISA brown was in the nest box at the time I opened up the coop.

My wife says I am so proud that I act like I laid the egg myself. Anyway, first egg photos following.

On September 1, I put my 3 dollar store dish bin nest boxes in the coop, filled with pine shavings, and 2 fake wooden eggs in each nest. This morning, you can see the middle nest box has a third, small, brown egg (bottom of the nest box).

View attachment 1897214

A better closeup. The real egg is on the bottom and the 2 larger eggs are fake.

View attachment 1897216

I have not figured out the exact cost of my egg production per dozen eggs, but so far I estimate it has cost me about $1000 per egg on day one! Hope to bring the cost per egg down in the coming weeks, but never got the chickens to save money on eggs. First egg looks lonely in this egg carton, but hope to add more soon.

View attachment 1897220
Finally, here is the egg size chart I am going by to size my eggs. If anyone has a better chart, please let me know. Thanks for letting me share.

View attachment 1897221
Awwww, lovely!!! Congratulations!:celebrate

congratulation now the fun really starts, I can only tell who laid what egg for my EE and olive egger, the others lay varying shade of brown, and can tell those from my heritage Rhode Island white's as they are separated in their own pen, but not which of the 2 laid the egg other than it wasn't the rooster lol

Sigh. Non chicken tenders. They just don't get it.

Yeah. But after 4 1/2 months of caring for the chicks, all the hours spent on building their coop and run, pouring money into the venture, it sure was exciting to see that first egg. It has been an interesting journey.

Back
Top Bottom