First Egg Countdown

I got a dark brown tiny egg in my nest boxes two days in a row. I don't know if it's from one of the golden comets, or by some miracle, I have an Easter Egger AND a Welsummer laying before either of the golden comets.
gig.gif
Do they lay a darkish brown egg? I will be spying on the nest boxes this weekend. Til then, maybe I'll upload a photo of the Wellie and the two sex links. Hmmmm.

My wellies eggs are here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/happy-chooks-welsummers

First eggs can be lighter, until their ink jets get warmed up.

Thanks for the pics, I LOVE the roo photos. Handsome stocky men! The one photo of the hen has the same "scowl" look around her eye wrinkles that my girl does, lol.

I was unclear in my post. I know the welsummers will lay a darker egg. I am wondering if the golden comet eggs will be dark-ish when they first lay or not. I guess I'll have to take an egg photo when I collect this evening, and I plan to stalk the coop this weekend. :D

Sorry I didn't understand your question.

Golden comets can lay a darker egg - I had one that laid dark eggs, let me see if I can find it.......

Here they are. These were her first 4 eggs (and my first eggs ever from my chickens):

Last edited:
7L- Wow. What a gorgeous dark red. Are they bigger than other chickens? I know everything is bigger in Texas. ;) Seriously though, I am wondering about their average weight.

Happy Chooks- I think mine is a little darker, I will have to stalk this weekend. :D

Last edited:
I got a dark brown tiny egg in my nest boxes two days in a row. I don't know if it's from one of the golden comets, or by some miracle, I have an Easter Egger AND a Welsummer laying before either of the golden comets.
gig.gif
Do they lay a darkish brown egg? I will be spying on the nest boxes this weekend. Til then, maybe I'll upload a photo of the Wellie and the two sex links. Hmmmm.
Welsummers lay a terra cotta (reddish brown) egg., Some come with spots on them. Sounds more like it is the Welsummer. Congrats!

My wellies eggs are here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/happy-chooks-welsummers

First eggs can be lighter, until their ink jets get warmed up.
Happy Chooks, I have a question. What are the differences in appearance from the Welsummer and the brown leghorn? I have a brown Leghorn and I swear I can't tell her from your Welsummers! I guess the Welsummers would have red earlobes and Leghorns, white? Anything else? Leg color maybe?

Quote:

I'm not all that familiar with Brown Leghorns, but yes, Welsummers have red earlobes and Leghorns have white. Welsummer leg color is to be yellow, but it fades as the hen ages. I believe Leghorns have yellow legs too. Their combs are very different also - Welsummers are to have a shorter comb, not big and floppy like the leghorns get.

Happy Chooks, I have a question.  What are the differences in appearance from the Welsummer and the brown leghorn?  I have a brown Leghorn and I swear I can't tell her from your Welsummers!  I guess the Welsummers would have red earlobes and Leghorns, white?  Anything else?  Leg color maybe?

The bodies are also more elongated, and the tail "swoops" at a different angle-leghorns more straight back. Welles bodies more rounded.

Photo of leghorn. She has a rose comb, but you get the idea.
0A69D519-84E9-46A0-9B93-BC88DE8F55A5-2156-000005506D0B5371-1.jpg

Photo of welsummer.

E0813D8C-C613-4604-8A52-B4B48A774ACD-2156-00000550760F20BC-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom