First Egg Countdown

got another egg yesterday same hen laying in the same spot on the floor in the coop. guess she hasn't figured out what the 10 hole nestbox is for yet. first egg Thursday second egg Saturday laying every other day.

I figure this will happen to me! lol. I wonder if most hens do or do not use the boxes right from the start. Interesting question.

My BO started laying today! Yay! She had to make her nest just right...
smile.png
Then screamed her egg song after. She was very proud of herself! 17 weeks old this week.

Congrats! My BOs will be 15 weeks old Tuesday (July 2nd). I hope they are early like yours!!

^^^thanks Debi and Flowerbh. We did something one shouldn't do when a new hobby is started, save the receipts!

Also, one of our New Hampshires was on the nest for a while yesterday, looking all egg-laying, but nothing happened. We really don't eggspect any eggs from her or her flockmates for another 4 weeks at least.

I figure this will happen to me! lol. I wonder if most hens do or do not use the boxes right from the start. Interesting question.
Mine laid eggs in the nest from the get-go. I had put the plastic eggs in there a month before they were due to lay. The plastic eggs do a few things. It lets them know where they can lay their eggs and it helps in preventing egg eaters. A chicken will try to eat anything new....well when they pick on the plastic egg, they learn that it is not good to eat. So then when the real eggs show up, they take no interest in them as food.

Here is my first egg I have no idea who laid it
tongue.png
does anybody know what that white stuff is on top on the egg? It kinda washed off when I put a little water on it.
Do you give your hens oyster shell? I think my first eggs had white deposits on them. I was told it happens at first. They don't have that happen anymore.

Back
Top Bottom