First Egg Countdown

Do they all squat before laying an egg?? Or maybe they will skip the squating and just pop one out:lol: I have been finding her feathers in all the nesting boxes... Maybe she is checking them out when I am not there?

Got my first egg today!! I was inordinately pleased in a way that only you all will understand! This is my first foray into raising chickens, and I am having a blast. Also, I had never tasted a farm fresh egg...EVER. Today was my first. My Russian Orloff, Natasha, is the proud layer of this beauty.
Congrats!

Do they all squat before laying an egg?? Or maybe they will skip the squating and just pop one out:lol: I have been finding her feathers in all the nesting boxes... Maybe she is checking them out when I am not there?
Not all pullets will squat. It's a sign of submission, so every now and then you have a stubborn one that won't squat. Mine don't squat for me anymore, they do that for the roosters.

Congrats!

Not all pullets will squat. It's a sign of submission, so every now and then you have a stubborn one that won't squat. Mine don't squat for me anymore, they do that for the roosters.
My leghorns refuse to squat for any but the head rooster, they are all the same age, but I can tell he is a gentleman to the girls, the one boy grabs their combs and climbs on anyway, as long as the head roo isn't looking, because if he sees him on one of the girls he gives him a warning (wonder why I named the head roo sh*t head I think he needs a new name. I've got one or two of the leghorns to squat for me though. :D since I want to be the boss, even the head roo looks up to me, I've had a girl pick at my leg and he defends me.

Officially both EEs laying now. One darker green egg and the other a more olive color.
Is it normal that they skip a day together? It was Both, both, both, neither, both. If it's both tomorrow too, and then another skipped day together I will be surprised!

Now the wait is on for the Buttercups!

Two eggs in one day yesterday whoo hoo.. .I officially have two girls laying!!! 1 more BR & EE to go and my four oldest will be laying!! (Still not sure if the ee is a roo yet) no crowing yet so I'm still holding out hope

Went outside today to take a break from studying and found a beautiful pink egg in the ferns. Two eggs again today whoo hoo! Not sure who layed it because the EE was the one who was by it. Is it possible for ee to lay eggs the same color as my br? Or is it more likely that she was just checking it out?

Officially both EEs laying now. One darker green egg and the other a more olive color.
Is it normal that they skip a day together? It was Both, both, both, neither, both. If it's both tomorrow too, and then another skipped day together I will be surprised!

Now the wait is on for the Buttercups!
Yay! I had a buttercup, but she passed away this year at 4 1/2 years old.

Two eggs in one day yesterday whoo hoo.. .I officially have two girls laying!!! 1 more BR & EE to go and my four oldest will be laying!! (Still not sure if the ee is a roo yet) no crowing yet so I'm still holding out hope
Congrats!

Yay!  I had a buttercup, but she passed away this year at 4 1/2 years old.

4.5 years of enjoyment, I hope! How was her egg production? Egg Size? I still have a couple months to go and now that my EEs are laying I'm looking forward to theirs!

Thanks!

Egg laying was very good. Medium sized white eggs. She was one of my most friendly hens.

Came home today and found these two pretties! They're different so my RIR is the darker one and the lighter one is my BSLs yay!!

Back
Top Bottom