First Egg Countdown

These are the two girls I'm waiting on. They are almost 27 weeks old and haven't laid an egg yet.

Another question about double yolk eggs, I got 4 large eggs today, I haven't cracked them to see if they are double yolk, like the other two. So I'm sitting at 6 large eggs (2 double yolks for sure) and 5 proper pullet eggs, from 14 brown egg layers, in 4 days. Any chances my poor girls are laying these as first eggs? Or should I be looking for a stash of them under the coop and in the woods. Three of my brown layers have been going out of the run with the leghorns, though I curtailed that last week, starting on Sat, I've kept them in till noon, and then 2pm, on Monday, when I found the first egg, cold on the floor, it was a double yolk.

First egg..was a double yolker!! Was thin shelled and cracked, but very tasty. I found it in one of the nesting boxes. It's the one on the left. The other was a large egg from the store for comparison.

We'll it's my RIR I caught her today but out if curiosity what color do BSLs lay?
It depends on what breeds are used to make her - it's usually a darker brown though. I have a BSL that was made from a welsummer rooster over a BR hen, and this is her egg. Yes, it really is mauve colored.

Another question about double yolk eggs, I got 4 large eggs today, I haven't cracked them to see if they are double yolk, like the other two. So I'm sitting at 6 large eggs (2 double yolks for sure) and 5 proper pullet eggs, from 14 brown egg layers, in 4 days. Any chances my poor girls are laying these as first eggs? Or should I be looking for a stash of them under the coop and in the woods. Three of my brown layers have been going out of the run with the leghorns, though I curtailed that last week, starting on Sat, I've kept them in till noon, and then 2pm, on Monday, when I found the first egg, cold on the floor, it was a double yolk.
Yes, you can get a double yolker for a first egg. It's all part of their bodies adjusting to laying.

First egg..was a double yolker!! Was thin shelled and cracked, but very tasty. I found it in one of the nesting boxes. It's the one on the left. The other was a large egg from the store for comparison.
Congrats!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom