First Egg Countdown

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pele, Jun 15, 2011.

1. henpeckedmuch

henpeckedmuch Chirping

Jul 25, 2011
    After seeing the picture of the beutiful brown egg someone put in their thread I have decided that I'm going to take some pictures of my ladies and their eggs and carry them in my wallet. I don't have a digital camera or else I would share with you'all also. I'm now the proud father of 12 eggs in 5 days.

2. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Songster

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    My GC's are squatting!!!!!!!!! Pullet eggies coming soon!! [​IMG]

In addition, I just witnessed one of them "arranging" one of the nests a few minutes ago! Time to add a little more hay, and fake eggs.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Songster

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Congrats Pele! [​IMG] Well done Princess Primadonna Prissy Pants![​IMG]

4. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    N&MSchroeder :

Thanks! I had no idea when I started this thread that it would take her over two months to lay her first egg. I think she did it on purpose just to see me squirm over what color she'd lay. I would have never guessed mint green, but then again army or olive green would have been just too gauche for such a refined, poised, and elegant pain in my patoot.

horray! I'm so happy to see everyone getting eggs, and everyone keeping the thread alive while waiting for their own birds! Grats everyone, I promise not to disappear now that all my girls are laying. I just love seeing all the new eggs, and everyone's joy in getting them!​

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  5. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Songster

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I think that I got my first egg song today form one of the twins(yet to be named,name ideas on my blog.) I have seen that they have both gotten very red over the last few weeks. Right now most all the chickens are spending the day under the tree on the edge of the woods behind there coop. I am going to have to clean it up some so I can seen under the tree better just in case they try to lay there. I sure hope not. My two older chickens do not sing a song after laying that I know of.

6. chickenstew

chickenstew In the Brooder

May 28, 2011
    N&MSchroeder :

x2. I love the mint green:)

7. DawnCols

DawnCols Songster

Dec 17, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Go Triple P! Mint green is a lovely egg color. Congratulations Pele.

8. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Songster

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    My Delaware just squatted for the first time just 10 minutes ago!! She's around 20 weeks old I'm guessing because I lost track. She's kinda fat (she's got fat legs), and she is super lazy. She will stand in the same spot for 15 minutes, just staring at one thing. She's healthy but I think she's just got a very mellow personality. My first egg from her will be soon!!

& Congrats to everyone on their first egg, whether it is your FIRST first or your "first" from a particular pullet.

9. DawnCols

DawnCols Songster

Dec 17, 2010
    Congratulations! Chickens are more fun after they squat, in my opinion.

10. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Songster

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Thanks! It is not my First first egg but my first from her so it will get 'blown' and saved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: