First Egg Countdown

I have two Brabanters, one Blue Cochin and one Partridge Cochin... all 26 week old pullets. Anxiously awaiting an egg! Does anyone know if these breeds take longer to lay? Thank you!!
1f60a.png

Last edited:

Shocked to find 5 silkie eggs this morning in "the fuzzy coop" as my three year old calls it. Thought we only had 3 laying so far. Yahoooo! Tricky little things...thought we had more roos then hens. Glad to say I was wrong.
1f604.png
(All around 24-25 weeks old btw)

Last edited:
Well, all the ruckus is how I caught her! Lol! I ran downstairs the minute I heard them and ran to the coop. Voila! There she was, still setting there! My girls free range the yard, and she was the only one in the hutch at the time, so she was an easy catch.
Ruckus, gotta love it, my rooster does so much crowing when one of the girls is about to lay I about go deaf if I stay in there.

I have 2 leghorns who laid today for the first time, I caught one about to lay (Ok she hadn't when I left, and the roo was driving me nuts, but I've learned the look) she stood up and I found a white egg under her, still warm, but she was still acting like she needed to lay her egg, so I think this was a case of monkey see monkey do. Which reminds me, I should go check on them again, and get that egg heeheehee.

We'll it's my RIR I caught her today but out if curiosity what color do BSLs lay?

I don't know what was used to make my BSL as I bought her from a feed store but she lays this egg...

Here it is compared to my RIR

My BSL's is always a little darker and more orange-tan. Her first few had white speckling but lost that very fast. My RIR's is lighter and more pinkish. Hers has the white speckling but has been laying a couple weeks and it still has it. When you wet or rub the the egg the speckling goes away and the eggs become closer in color. Not sure if she'll always have the white speckling that makes the more pinky color or not.

Shocked to find 5 silkie eggs this morning in "the fuzzy coop" as my three year old calls it. Thought we only had 3 laying so far. Yahoooo! Tricky little things...thought we had more roos then hens. Glad to say I was wrong.
1f604.png
(All around 24-25 weeks old btw)
Congrats!

Quote: And Congrats!

My BSL has laid every single day since her first. 17 straight. My RIR seems to have equalized herself. The first week and 1/2 she seemed to be on a 28 hour schedule where she'd skip a day the day after she laid late afternoon around 3pm. The past 3-4 days she's laid around the time my BSL does 10:30am-ish, so she seems to be closer to a 24 hour cycle now.

My EE squatted for the first time today. YAY! She only did it twice but still YAY! My Welsummer squatted once weeks ago though and never did it again and hasn't laid yet so it could be a false alarm like hers. They're all a little over 23 weeks.

both of my white rocks started laying today!! I was saying "there better be an egg in here" as I opened the nest box and there they were! One egg in each box!! I'm ecstatic!!

We have 3 girls and got our first egg yesterday (could have been the day before since I didn't check the nesting boxes since I thought we were never going to get eggs, then we got our second one today. They are beautiful light brown in color, and much smaller than I anticipated. I'm guessing it was the langshan since she will lay 'medium" size eggs. We have either an Americauna or an easter egger (not sure which she is) that will also lay medium sized eggs but I think hers will be blue or green. The only other option would be our buff orphington but she will lay large eggs and both these are smaller than I'd picture a large egg being.

Disappointed at the fact that the eggs were smaller than I anticipated, but still excited!

We have 3 girls and got our first egg yesterday (could have been the day before since I didn't check the nesting boxes since I thought we were never going to get eggs, then we got our second one today.  They are beautiful light brown in color, and much smaller than I anticipated.  I'm guessing it was the langshan since she will lay 'medium" size eggs.  We have either an Americauna or an easter egger (not sure which she is) that will also lay medium sized eggs but I think hers will be blue or green.  The only other option would be our buff orphington but she will lay large eggs and both these are smaller than I'd picture a large egg being. 

Disappointed at the fact that the eggs were smaller than I anticipated, but still excited! 

Don't worry. The eggs increase in size. They are pullet size now, but in a month or two should change to their "normal" size. The small ones still taste good. :p

Back
Top Bottom