First Egg Countdown

I have 4 girls 19 weeks old. This RIR girl started doing the chicken squat today when I went to pet her. Anxiously awaiting our first egg..any guesses on how much longer?

Thanks @DuginMT. These are our first chickens so I have no idea what to expect. So far she's the only one squatting but I hope the rest will follow soon. Can't wain for out first egg! :)

Anybody? I havent posted because my girl isn't unwell from what I can telln not egg bound or bugs ir anything of the sort. . Just stressed I guess. Just asking to confirm. Flock of 6, all the same age, 8 months. My EE hasn't laid any eggs whatsoever in almost 4 weeks. She is healthy. Maybe slightly lighter. Only has one tail feather left. She is bottom of pecking order. They run her off when food is offered by us but not otherwise that I know of. I have two separate waters and feeders for that reason. She has given up sleeping with the rest, as they always upended her and pushed her to the side. She is sleeping in the nest box on her own. I think she gave up. She has lost some feathers but from what i read she shouldn't be molting at this age. I never see them pluck her, just peck her once to tell her to move away from the food. Should I worry if she is otherwise ok?

Anybody? I havent posted because my girl isn't unwell from what I can telln not egg bound or bugs ir anything of the sort. . Just stressed I guess. Just asking to confirm. Flock of 6, all the same age, 8 months. My EE hasn't laid any eggs whatsoever in almost 4 weeks. She is healthy. Maybe slightly lighter. Only has one tail feather left. She is bottom of pecking order. They run her off when food is offered by us but not otherwise that I know of. I have two separate waters and feeders for that reason. She has given up sleeping with the rest, as they always upended her and pushed her to the side. She is sleeping in the nest box on her own. I think she gave up. She has lost some feathers but from what i read she shouldn't be molting at this age. I never see them pluck her, just peck her once to tell her to move away from the food. Should I worry if she is otherwise ok?

My whole flock of chickens molted at 8 months old so it does happen!

She is going through a minor molt. I too have some 9 month old pullets doing the same. No need to worry, she will start back up when she's done. Give her some high protein treats to help it along.

Back
Top Bottom