First Egg Countdown

Quote:
They are pretty loud, I'm glad we live in the middle of nowhere, because I know we would have complaining neighbors if we had any close by. When the egg laying is commencing everyone gets in on the eggsong, even the roo. Lol!

They are around 8 months old right now, and the last week or so we've been getting an average of 8 eggs a day. A couple of them just started laying and I think there may be one who hasn't laid yet at all.

ETA: I don't know how loud they are compared to other breeds, I guess I should say they are noisy. They like to talk a lot and it sounds loud when they all get going, but if you just had a couple it might not be that bad.
Ok thanks for all the info. I'll have to do some more research to see if this breed is for me, thanks again! Also do you know if this is a freindly breed both to hummans and other chicken breeds? I have an Americina, Buff Oriphintins ( Dont know how to spell that word
idunno.gif
) , and some Black Sex Links.

Quote:
Ok thanks for all the info. I'll have to do some more research to see if this breed is for me, thanks again! Also do you know if this is a freindly breed both to hummans and other chicken breeds? I have an Americina, Buff Oriphintins ( Dont know how to spell that word
idunno.gif
) , and some Black Sex Links.

Well, they are very flighty. That's one of the reasons we got this breed, we live in a wilderness area and wanted birds that had a better chance of survival. unfortunately their flightiness makes them less friendly to humans. Ours have been handled from day one as chicks, so they tolerate us, but don't like to be held or confined. If they could they would roost out in trees at night, but we make them sleep in a coop for safety.

They are a smaller (light) breed, but not bantam size so they don't get as big as your Americaunas or BO's. we don't have any other breeds to see if they would mix well or not, but I've seen pictures of mixed flocks with one or two Hamburgs in it, so I know it can be done.

ETO: They are actually great flyers too, so if you don't want them to escape from a pen, you have to cover it even if it's a really tall fence. We've had them fly 20 feet and higher.

Last edited:
24 1/2 weeks and only two small eggs so far...and the one hen that actually started laying has stopped

man,this is getting frustrating

24 1/2 weeks and only two small eggs so far...and the one hen that actually started laying has stopped

man,this is getting frustrating

Welcome to BYC!

My pullets didn't start laying at all until they were over 26 weeks old. It was exquisite torture! Lol!

Just a short few weeks later, though, they are now laying more eggs than we know what to do with. Now that yours have started laying, they will get down to business soon.
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC!

My pullets didn't start laying at all until they were over 26 weeks old. It was exquisite torture! Lol!

Just a short few weeks later, though, they are now laying more eggs than we know what to do with. Now that yours have started laying, they will get down to business soon.
big_smile.png

thanks!

Some breeds don't lay until later. Be patient and you will see eggs. With that many chickens, I don't know how you will know who layed what.

Back
Top Bottom