First Egg Countdown

Pics
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>
Hi Barnie,

Patience is the key here. The BA should lay first. Do they have waddles and are the doing the egg squat yet?

Here is a picture of some of mine:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/84712_chicken_19_weeksopt.jpg

The Golden Comet came from a guy in Folsom CA and has been laying for a couple of months. The BA's are my babies and are 19 weeks old. One does the egg squat, three others have developed their combs and waddles but no egg dance. The fifth one still needs to grow the waddles and combs. At least she looks like she has finished the "Juvenile Molt". I also have three RIR's but they are 13 weeks old so I will have to wait six weeks or so for them.

I am really looking forward to the babies laying eggs
droolin.gif

Ron

The BA has the red comb and waddles but no sqatting yet.

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>
Hi Barnie,

Patience is the key here. The BA should lay first. Do they have waddles and are the doing the egg squat yet?

Here is a picture of some of mine:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/84712_chicken_19_weeksopt.jpg

The Golden Comet came from a guy in Folsom CA and has been laying for a couple of months. The BA's are my babies and are 19 weeks old. One does the egg squat, three others have developed their combs and waddles but no egg dance. The fifth one still needs to grow the waddles and combs. At least she looks like she has finished the "Juvenile Molt". I also have three RIR's but they are 13 weeks old so I will have to wait six weeks or so for them.

I am really looking forward to the babies laying eggs
droolin.gif

Ron

The BA has the red comb and waddles but no sqatting yet.

It sounds like she's about two weeks off then
sad.png
Sorry to say. Another thing to look for is when they get REALLY LOUD and chatty. That's another sign.

I am a new chicken mama and am waiting for my GLW, Winnie, to lay her first egg. Her comb is very red and she is 18 weeks old and two times last week when I went to open the coop in the morning she was in the nesting box. I can't believe how apprehensive we are, waiting for the first egg.

I have 12 hens that are 19 weeks an 1 day old. Thier combs have been red for weeks but still no egg .I am looking all the time with no luck .They all walk around my feet and talk to me .I will keep looking I know thier are close.

WOOOHOOOO!!!!! I've got another one!!! This is a bad pic, but my sweet Shadow, BSL, 17 weeks old, squatted for me for the first time just now!!! That makes 5 hens in 1 week doing "The Squat!!"!!!! By next week I should be drowning in eggs! LOL!!!
yippiechickie.gif
This is a dark pic, under the coop, in the run area, in the evening, just now!!!
82252_shadow.jpg

Last edited:
Phoebe-17 weeks old (supposed to be a Cuckoo Marans???- was in the Cuckoo Marans bin- feed store did not have any barred rocks )

66234_img_1933.jpg

Lucy 17 weeks old ( Cuckoo Marans)

66234_img_1961.jpg

I am excited to see who lays first from the new gals. (I have had them since they were 2 days old) No one has squatted yet.

My older gals are almost a year the end of this month. I was waiting with bated breath to get my first egg from my established gals. They all have been laying since January. The countdown begins once again!

Quote:
Thanks for joining the thread! Your birds are really pretty! To be honest, it looks like you have a barred rock AND a Marans. It might be the camera, but your Phoebe's legs are looking very yellow. That's the leg-color for a barred rock. Lucy has classic marans legs: pale white.

Also, welcome to the thread Hurstshens, woodchips, and Jerusha!

IlovePecky, it IS possible in some breeds to have birds that lay as early as 13 weeks. Especially in the hybrids like Sex-Links. However, don't disclose your location or some of the forum members might abscond with your magical early laying bird. You're so lucky!!!!!! By the way...... where do you live?
cool.png

Quote:
Thanks for joining the thread! Your birds are really pretty! To be honest, it looks like you have a barred rock AND a Marans. It might be the camera, but your Phoebe's legs are looking very yellow. That's the leg-color for a barred rock. Lucy has classic marans legs: pale white.

Also, welcome to the thread Hurstshens, woodchips, and Jerusha!

IlovePecky, it IS possible in some breeds to have birds that lay as early as 13 weeks. Especially in the hybrids like Sex-Links. However, don't disclose your location or some of the forum members might abscond with your magical early laying bird. You're so lucky!!!!!! By the way...... where do you live?
cool.png

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, Phoebe's legs and bottoms of her feet are yellow. She is still a keeper no matter what breed she is. I am betting that she lays first as she is redder in the comb and wattles than Lucy.

I haven't had a single pullet squat for me, but I have had a couple get very friendly, want to roost on me and be petted. Onyx actually goes to sleep as I pet her. They're not the two that have started to lay, though. The only behaviour change I saw in those two is that they started roosting on me & my sister at bedtime and root around in our hair.

Rae

Back
Top Bottom