1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

first egg! :D

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bryntee, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Bryntee

Bryntee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    My black sex-link layed her first egg on Tuesday!! :D what a pleasant surprise to come home to. She layed a weird lookin' egg a couple days prior tho in the grass. It didn't have a shell and was all yucky lookin'. And then there was some stuff on my deck before I found the weird egg in the lawn. The stuff looked like the inside of the egg. But anyway I've gotten an egg everyday since! :D yayayayay! So excited! [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on a pretty pink egg! Those first ones are exciting aren't they. It's not unusual for pullets to lay shell less or odd eggs when they first start out, they are just getting into gear and they usually straighten out in a little while.

3. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    Congratulations! First eggs are always most exciting, probably for the hen as well as for you!

4. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    So ever since the first egg I got an egg a day from her and her last egg was on Monday. The day after we got rid of our rooster. She hasn't laid since. Do you think she misses him or could it be something else? I've check everywhere in the fenced in area and there aren't any stashed anywhere. Any ideas? I had to get rid of my rooster because no matter what I did he kept attacking me. :S

5. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    Sometimes they start out laying irregularly, so in general I would say it has nothing to do with losing the roo. Unless of course they were the only 2 chickens you had. If she is completely alone, now, that would be stressful for a social animal like a chicken.

6. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Well she's laid 3 soft eggs since I posted and this morning there was a hard egg in the nest box. I just didn't want her to be unhappy lol. But she has 2 other pullets with her so she's not alone. Thanks so much! :)

7. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    How big was it? My RSL lays very small eggs.

8. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    She lays pretty nice size eggs. Ill post a pic soon! :D

9. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

10. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] her first egg was a double yolker!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by