first egg! :D

Bryntee

Songster
7 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
My black sex-link layed her first egg on Tuesday!! :D what a pleasant surprise to come home to. She layed a weird lookin' egg a couple days prior tho in the grass. It didn't have a shell and was all yucky lookin'. And then there was some stuff on my deck before I found the weird egg in the lawn. The stuff looked like the inside of the egg. But anyway I've gotten an egg everyday since! :D yayayayay! So excited!

Congratulations on a pretty pink egg! Those first ones are exciting aren't they. It's not unusual for pullets to lay shell less or odd eggs when they first start out, they are just getting into gear and they usually straighten out in a little while.

So ever since the first egg I got an egg a day from her and her last egg was on Monday. The day after we got rid of our rooster. She hasn't laid since. Do you think she misses him or could it be something else? I've check everywhere in the fenced in area and there aren't any stashed anywhere. Any ideas? I had to get rid of my rooster because no matter what I did he kept attacking me. :S

Sometimes they start out laying irregularly, so in general I would say it has nothing to do with losing the roo. Unless of course they were the only 2 chickens you had. If she is completely alone, now, that would be stressful for a social animal like a chicken.

Well she's laid 3 soft eggs since I posted and this morning there was a hard egg in the nest box. I just didn't want her to be unhappy lol. But she has 2 other pullets with her so she's not alone. Thanks so much! :)

Back
Top Bottom