First Egg Eating - Anxiety - Anyone? Anyone?

Hula Hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
Wailuku, Maui, HI

Don't laugh!! I am nervous about eating the first egg we received from our BR, Roxy. OK, here goes....... Hmmm? Aside from the small amount of salt and butter I used, I don't taste much of a difference. In comparison to the remaining store bought eggs we have, the yolk is MUCH more yellow/orange in color. The egg is smaller, but I'm told they will get larger as she lays more.

I am NOT the hippy-dippy type who preaches free range, vegan-ism, gluten free, etc. This backyard, home grown chicken thing is new to me. PLEASE TELL ME MY ANXIETY/NERVOUSNESS IS NORMAL!!!

Congratulations on that first egg! Perfectly normal, you waited a long time for that egg, you took care of your girls watched them, fed them, talked to them, and that egg has been a long time in the making. Does look like it cooked up nicely, and you can tell the deep color of the yolk even from the picture. They will get bigger, the small ones are cute when you cook them up individually like that. Also, (which bothers some people) well, you also know exactly from the chicken where the egg came from.

Great job and nice photo well deserved meal and yes the egg's
get bigger ,,, Remember the egg will taste a little different as
with the diet of the chicken so the more worms and bugs and
grass she eats and do not for get the corn and different mash
you might give her oh lets not forget the table scraps every
thing but meat alright the meat is up to you .....
D.gif
And you know what goes in to your chicken and like
you wrote the difference in color was more golden yes it
is and what a great job you have dune .........

Personally I started doing my chicken raising to teach my
children and then my grandchildren and now I can not live
without them ............

gander007
old.gif

Yay!
I predict you too will become an Egg Snob.
Once you compare your "homemade" eggs to those served in restaurants you will pass on ordering eggs.
And once you start cooking with your eggs a whole new world opens up.
I remember making a recipe a friend had served me using my eggs and the first thing I noticed is how much brighter YELLOW my version was
big_smile.png

Last edited:
you talked about taste if you are feeding all comical feed they are going to taste much the same. that's why people let them free range. or at least feed them table scraps. and throw in garden refuge and lawn clipping when ever possible. you'll find the taste and your chickens will do better.

the spell check on this sight SUCKS!

you talked about taste if you are feeding all comical feed they are going to taste much the same. that's why people let them free range. or at least feed them table scraps. and throw in garden refuge and lawn clipping when ever possible. you'll find the taste and your chickens will do better.
this is a very good point. A bird eating the same feed as a commercial hen is going to produce an egg that's much the same. A more diverse diet will make a better tasting egg.

That said, I honestly don't taste much difference myself. I've discovered I don't have very discerning taste buds and don't notice a difference in lots of things, but I'm okay with that. I will still always keep chickens and love my eggs.

Thanks for the input, everyone!! Our girls "free-range" most days, and get scraps when available.....my boys don't leave left overs. We keep their feeding dish filled with scratch/corn. I had to build a barrier around my garden. My broccoli, lettuce and green beans were DESTROYED! Also, we have a large avocado tree which they seem to like. I was sure our first egg would be green!! No eggs today, but maybe another tomorrow. Hoping our Ameraucana lays soon as we're all really excited to see a blue egg.

Again, thanks so much for all the input!!!

Back
Top Bottom