First egg found in garden. How to get them to lay in coop?

StaceyChickFarm

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Reno, Nevada
I'm new to this site and so thankful for this resource!

My first egg (that I know of) came today from one of my hens (8 hens, 1 rooster). I found her nesting in my garden and when she moved there it was! I've read that I should keep them in their coop for a few days so they know to lay in there but do I let the rooster out or keep them all inside?

Thanks for your help and wisdom!

Stacey

I guess I'd just keep the flock together, as per their usual flock dynamics. I'd not throw any monkey wrenches into the flock sense of order, at this point.
One day locked up or two, then, you can let them out in the late afternoons and evenings. Most of them will have laid before 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Some free time is good for their over all sense of well being. They'll soon be trustworthy to return to their laying area all by themselves. It just takes some time.

Have you laced their nest boxes with fake eggs (wooden, boiled, etc.)??? Generally chickens want to lay where they see other eggs, because it's presumed that must be a safe place. If your birds are kept in a run, you could just not allow them out to freerange for the next 2-3 days. I've never had to do that though, I'd assume because I've always used the fake egg trick, so they've always laid there... I'd stick that egg you found, plus a few from the fridge, in the nest boxes and show your girls...

Oh, you could leave the roo with them - he'd probably go nuts if they were in and he was out...

Give them some time. Sometimes they get surprised by the egg coming. Give her a week and I bet she'll lay in the nest. Also mess up the nest in the run and add fake eggs to the nest. (wooden eggs, plastic Easter eggs filled with rocks, golf balls, etc)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom