First egg from my Barred Rock took an hour.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennySkarsten, Aug 30, 2014.

1. JennySkarsten

JennySkarsten Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2014
    Holly, Michigan
    Just wanted to post pictures of my first brown egg from one of my Barred Rocks at 22 weeks old. Took her an hour and then she sang the egg song!! LOL[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Well congrats! An hour is probably a really good time for a chicken to lay an egg. It takes about twenty-three to twenty- five for another to come develop after the last one is laid.

3. McCluckles

McCluckles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Small-town Ontario
    My Coop
    Lol!
    Congrats on your first egg!
    [​IMG]

4. goodb

goodb Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Good job and congrats. I have some RIRs that are just starting to lay. Eggs are so small I almost missed them. It is eggciting to get your FIRST few eggs as a new chickee parent!

Good job!

5. JennySkarsten

Apr 3, 2014
    Holly, Michigan
    Thank you all. Yes, very eggciting. I have 3 EE that just started laying at 20-21 weeks old and 2 Barred Rocks just starting at 20 weeks and waiting on my 1 New Hampshire. Sorry, made a mistake. The Barred Rocks are only 20 weeks old. Oooops!!

6. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Did you know that as a hen get's older her eggs get bigger and bigger but fewer? You can trick a hen into laying bigger eggs by making her think that the day is 28 hours long.

7. JennySkarsten

Apr 3, 2014
    Holly, Michigan
    I know they will get bigger and bigger. I also know that you can keep them laying in the winter with added light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by