first egg hanging out in a sack

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chix4smokin, Sep 6, 2010.

1. chix4smokin

chix4smokin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    I came home today and checked on the girls. I noticed one of the young ones had an egg hanging out and it was in a little sack. It is her first egg did something go wrong? I caught her and found a perforated part of the sack thing and worked it out. I've never had this before!! I checked on her today and she's doing fine.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I have no idea, but hopefully this will bump this up and you'll get an answer. How disconcerting that would be.

3. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    I hope its not prolapse?? Hope somone else comes along to help that knows more about it

4. chix4smokin

chix4smokin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    anybody else experienced this?

5. sreihart

sreihart Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know either, but I'm hoping this will bump it up again.

6. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    Sounds like a prolapse. I had a hen that laid her first egg and prolapsed afterwards. I took some KY jelly and gently pushed the prolapse back in. This happened 14 times that day. The next day she laid her second egg and hasn't prolapsed since.

My Americauna had a bloody red bulbous thing protruding from her vent a few weeks ago after laying her egg. Again, I used KY and gently pushed it back in. It's important not to let it dry out. She hasn't laid any eggs after that.

Now I have a Muscovy drake with a prolapse. He's been prolapsed for over a week and is going to the vet this week because no matter what I do, it's not helping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by