First egg!!! Is and now out of character behaviour

Lazygaze

Songster
Dec 3, 2020
Hi everyone. My pullet laid her first egg today! I’m soooo proud of her 🥰 she is now exhibiting unusual behaviour, she is quiet and keeps nipping into their ‘bedroom’ for a sit down. I’m pretty sure this is just the effects of laying her first egg, it must be pretty weird for an egg to come out of somewhere where you’ve only ever pooped from before! 😅 I’m guessing it’s a combo of slight traumatisation, exhaustion and hormones. Can you reassure me? 💗

Attachments

• BEE9261B-148A-4610-B047-86B55E80E76C.jpeg
    BEE9261B-148A-4610-B047-86B55E80E76C.jpeg
    577.3 KB · Views: 13
  • F73352E2-4ADC-4087-AC20-15E3F2767C8A.jpeg
    F73352E2-4ADC-4087-AC20-15E3F2767C8A.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 11
Already?! 😟 I had to go to work this morning and just on my way back now so will be able to see what she is up to now. Ahhh I need to start reading up on broodiness 🙈🙈🙈🥰
There's the possibility that she is thinking about becoming broody.
Has she continued to return to the nest boxes?

OMGGGGG I just got home and checked up on them and there were TWO MORE eggs!!!!! Could they all be from one pullet?! I have three but one is disabled so quite developmentally behind, and the other is being super hormonal and attacking my watch every time I go near her.... 3 eggs in one day from one pullet?! Or maybe 2 from one and 1 from the other?!
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!
@aart whatddaya reckon?!
It's unlikely for a bird to lay more than one fully formed hard shelled egg within 24 hours.
Might be time for some butt checks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Hi everyone. My pullet laid her first egg today! I’m soooo proud of her 🥰 she is now exhibiting unusual behaviour, she is quiet and keeps nipping into their ‘bedroom’ for a sit down. I’m pretty sure this is just the effects of laying her first egg, it must be pretty weird for an egg to come out of somewhere where you’ve only ever pooped from before! 😅 I’m guessing it’s a combo of slight traumatisation, exhaustion and hormones. Can you reassure me? 💗
There's the possibility that she is thinking about becoming broody.
Has she continued to return to the nest boxes?

OMGGGGG I just got home and checked up on them and there were TWO MORE eggs!!!!! Could they all be from one pullet?! I have three but one is disabled so quite developmentally behind, and the other is being super hormonal and attacking my watch every time I go near her.... 3 eggs in one day from one pullet?! Or maybe 2 from one and 1 from the other?!
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!
@aart whatddaya reckon?!

Turns out she had gone back in to do AT LEAST another one!! See my latest comment on here!! Could she have popped three out?! My other potential new layer has shown no sign of interest in the nesting box but IS attacking my arm every time I go near her...

You wouldn't expect that to happen yet. If it's her first egg she's probably just sorting though things. I don't believe she is going broody.

Back
Top Bottom