First egg laying behaviors question, Jersey Giant.

If I can chime in here, her eye color says she is more likely an Australorp and they do start to lay at 5 months old. Jersey Giants have orange colored eyes - your chicken's eyes are black like an Australorp. Just my two-cents.
Also, congrats!!! I also have Australorps that are 20+ weeks and ready to lay any day now! I've got all the signs.

@mydaisy Interesting! I know the local farm and feed store said they got her from a hatchery. I looked them up online. They said they were black Jersey Giants but who knows. It was my understanding that the eyes could be orange or brown. At 5 months old she's already the size of a normal chicken so I thought she was a Jersey Giant. I heard they take 2 years to mature. The first year they get their height and the second year they get their bulk. I just bought a blue australorp chick for a buddy.

Attachments

• 20220816_171729.jpg
    20220816_171729.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220816_171422.jpg
    20220816_171422.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
@mydaisy Interesting! I know the local farm and feed store said they got her from a hatchery. I looked them up online. They said they were black Jersey Giants but who knows. It was my understanding that the eyes could be orange or brown. At 5 months old she's already the size of a normal chicken so I thought she was a Jersey Giant. I heard they take 2 years to mature. The first year they get their height and the second year they get their bulk. I just bought a blue australorp chick for a buddy.
She is beautiful either way. I guess you’ll find out when she’s full size lol.
Blue Australorps are beautiful, too! Congrats.

Was the lighter one first? Is she the only hen of laying age with access to the nest box? Size usually starts small and gets larger, although the very first egg of one of my two that are laying now was a jumbo. But the color has been very consistent. I have heard they sometimes get lighter towards the end of their laying cycle before they molt, but haven't heard of one suddenly being darker.

Was the lighter one first? Is she the only hen of laying age with access to the nest box? Size usually starts small and gets larger, although the very first egg of one of my two that are laying now was a jumbo. But the color has been very consistent. I have heard they sometimes get lighter towards the end of their laying cycle before they molt, but haven't heard of one suddenly being darker.
Yes the first egg was lighter the rest have been darker. She started laying last Monday and I have six eggs so far, in one week!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1661114017569.jpg
    FB_IMG_1661114017569.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 7
  • FB_IMG_1661114011421.jpg
    FB_IMG_1661114011421.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom