First egg question

Wardogg

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
I have about a 6 mo old Buff O, picked her up as a baby chick (with a sister that didnt make it past the chick stage) she started squatting and last Tues so its been almost a week since the first squat. I dont have much of a yard so its not hard to search for the eggs. I have a seperate nest box from the coop which she absolutley hates to be put in. The coop is the size of a large dog house but provides the roost she needs for the nite time. Anyways my question is...what time of day does the average first egg come? Im still waiting the impossible wait. And I know a watched pot never boils, just looking for guidance on if I havent gotten it by a certain time, just wait until the next day. Thanks for any info in advance.

Yes i know, but a weeks worth of pacing is too much LOL. Ive actually heard the egg song but alas no eggs are to be found. I should also mention that other than the squatting there is no other new behavior. Ive read that sometimes they get lethargic or cant walk just right if it is coming time. She has none of that. Still runs around the yard just like normal. I suppose it will still be a while. And the wait continues.....

There's really no way to predict, as there's no set time that chickens lay. Mine will lay from an hour after first light up through 5 PM or so. Now if you see her lay, then you can somewhat predict at what time she'll lay the following day (if she ends up being a daily layer), as it's generally 25 or 26 hours later...
I would try a nest box close to the coop, inside (taken out each evening since space is an issue...just a small basket or something w/bedding), or under the coop, or beside the coop. Your nest box does need to be somewhat hidden, as they want to use it because it's secluded (safe). Make sure you have a wooden egg, a golf ball, or something else that looks "eggish." When they see an egg in a nest, that's an indicator that the nest must be a safe place to lay eggs...

I will try putting the nest box behind the coop. Thanks for the advice. Its a small plastic tote with staw bedding I do have a plastic egg in there but it is kind of out in the open. Its a little too big to put in the coop at nite. I will put it behind the coop for some privacy. Maybe that will help when she does start laying.

Before mine started laying they would get in the box's & practice. Sounds crazy but that's what they did. Have you noticed this behaviour? It seemed like a few days later I got an egg. Good luck & keep us posted.

Most of my girls lay by 10:30 or so. I have one BR and an EE who lay between noon and 3. I don't think I've ever gotten an egg after about 4:30. That probably doesn't help much.
tongue.png

Quote:
No she hates the nest box. LOL. Ive moved it now so ill watch and see what happens.

Well the general consensus is not after 5 so Ill call that the cutoff time.
big_smile.png

Is it a lidded tote, or open?? They won't like something that is open. You might try a small, covered litter box w/bedding, or even a 5 gallon bucket with half hte lid removed, laid on it's side, or rig up a cover of some kind for your tote (unless it's already lidded)....

It is a lidded tote. She seems to have decided to use the coop. Seems my wait is finally over!

She layed it in the coop not the nest box, but we will work on it.
big_smile.png
wee.gif
:weee

I am one proud chicken owner today!!!

PB020825.jpg

Back
Top Bottom