1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg(s)?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GrumpyOldMan, Oct 5, 2010.

1. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    We have two Easter Egger hens. Day before yesterday no eggs today two eggs. Don’t know if one hen laid one yesterday and one today of if both started laying at the same time. Do I take both out to eat or leave one? I don’t have a glass egg and won’t be able to get to the feed store for a couple of days. So talk to me. [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, eat your eggs! If they've already laid their eggs in the right place, a day or two without the faux reinforcement eggs won't matter!
    [​IMG]

3. bonder

bonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    HA HA! I read this as "Do I take one out to eat or both?" as in "which one do I take out to eat at a restaurant?" [​IMG]
    How about a golf ball?

4. GrumpyOldMan

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks for the reply. Believe it or not, I built them a small (4’x4’) coop that they were taught to go in for nighttime lock down (let them out every morning). I was hoping they would do their laying in it. Either one or both ARE. We are happy campers. [​IMG]

5. GrumpyOldMan

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    Quote:At leas it didn’t come across as which chicken do I eat. [​IMG] If I played golf I’d have a gulf ball. [​IMG] Good idea, I’ll see what else I have laying around that might work. Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I used plastic Easter eggs they worked great. Or maybe since they have used the box already they will be okay.

7. GrumpyOldMan

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    Got another egg today. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by