First egg set in a long while....

Dragons4u

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Ohio
Hey everyone,
It's been a while since I've really been active on here, well, a couple of years I think. I ran into some health problems, job loss, those kinds of things.
I have ended up going back to college for robotics and automation systems, and for the heck of it, built a little project.
With my cheap little incubator, I got tired of chicks drowning in my water cups for hatching. No matter what I used or did, a few always seemed to drown themselves. So just to see if I could make it work, I applied a digital temp controller to my incubator and created a humidity pump with a digital controller so no more water in the incubator.
So far, it seems to work well, but I just set my first batch of eggs in it to test it out. I have set 24 various colors of Coturnix eggs from a local place called http://myshirefarm.com/index.php/shop/.
They are about 40 minutes away from me here in Ohio, so I drove down and picked up the eggs. Great prices and a very pretty young lady that I dealt with. I will definitely deal with them again.
Wish me luck!

Good luck :)! Suggestion, could have tried a mesh floor over the water containers or covered the water tops with mesh/quarter inch hardware cloth to prevent the drowning, oh and make sure you have shallow water/add marbles or rocks in the brooders water, they can also drown easily in there :O

Cool looking DIY :D

Yup, all that's taken care of. I have been raising them for five years or so.
Without the water in the bator, there's less bacteria growth as well.

Back
Top Bottom