Have a surplus of eggs?

MrJudeRaw

Chirping
Jul 25, 2023
PNW Willamette region WA
Edit to add: I think yall are commendable for wanting to help as a reflex but this is not a request for advice or help. Please note the first two lines after this carefully.
Where are you in your journey and what kind of production level? what do you do / want to do with your eggs?
I am now 5 months into my quail journey. Roughly 80 birds over various life stages and multiple genetic lines. I am mostly just having fun setting up a covey and while it would be cool to sell stuff in the future its really not something I have been putting energy into.
I have no way of consuming the amount of eggs I produce or the meat. So instead of wasting them I reached out to a local wildlife rehab and offered them as a donation. The vice director reached out to me and accepted. it seems opossums cant eat chicken eggs on a healthy diet so they buy quail eggs for them and the meat can be fed to various small predators.

Last edited:
Where are you in your journey and what kind of production level? what do you do / want to do with your eggs?
I am now 5 months into my quail journey. Roughly 80 birds over various life stages and multiple genetic lines. I am mostly just having fun setting up a covey and while it would be cool to sell stuff in the future its really not something I have been putting energy into.
I have no way of consuming the amount of eggs I produce or the meat. So instead of wasting them I reached out to a local wildlife rehab and offered them as a donation. The vice director reached out to me and accepted. it seems opossums cant eat chicken eggs on a healthy diet so they buy quail eggs for them and the meat can be fed to various small predators.
As @nuthatched mentioned, you can try your local craigslist. I've sold many dozens of eggs to people for hatching and for feeding to reptiles. I also see listings for live birds, but haven't tried selling any of mine, yet.

I'm probably...almost 5 months in now? We're much more cramped in terms of space, so definitely less than 80 quail (probably around 15 laying hens atm) but we're still drowning in tiny eggs. I like boiled and marinated quail eggs, so that's what I'm doing with them. We also give them away to neighbors...I think as our covey grows, we'll start selling on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace - we're also into reptiles and feeding our dogs raw, so excess quail and eggs aren't concerning.

For those who are inundated with quail - they're becoming more popular with reptile and exotics keepers as an alternative to rodent feeders. I think you could quickly sell new chicks for 50 cents to a dollar and adults for 3-4 dollars, no need to butcher the quail in any way aside from killing and freezing. I've seen quail eggs being sold $5 for a dozen at reptile conventions, too.

Back
Top Bottom