Quail broody's

I have had a coturnix hen go broody once last year, but mine are kept on dirt in a natural-ish environment. I hope to have it happen again this year as it's a lot easier than using a bator/light as the mama quail is doing the work for free.

I agree with le_bwah, broodiness will only happen if they are comfortable, which needs a not so dense natural environment. My aviary is outside with a solid roof so it stays dry. I'm not the best with bedding changes, but my substrate is dirt with grasses/branches/stumps mixed/placed for them to use.

1000008512.jpg

Last edited:
I have had a coturnix hen go broody once last year, but mine are kept on dirt in a natural-ish environment. I hope to have it happen again this year as it's a lot easier than using a bator/light as the mama quail is doing the work for free.

I agree with le_bwah, broodiness will only happen if they are comfortable, which needs a not so dense natural environment. My aviary is outside with a solid roof so it stays dry. I'm not the best with bedding changes, but my substrate is dirt with grasses/branches/stumps mixed/placed for them to use.

View attachment 3779282
Thankyou!

I don't know if this was noted but I've read that long grass or hay is almost necessary to have them go broody.
I have also heard this so I did add some for them when my hen went broody. I think they like to feel safe when hatching the eggs, so I think mostly they need some nooks or brush to hide in.

I don't have live grass, just hay, cut branches and my coop/run is one integrated thing (4x10) (I guess like a covered run)

I had heard hearing chicks also helps trigger the instinct too, and my hen went broody just after a set hatched in a bator within earshot 🤷‍♂️ maybe coincidence though.

The other non-broody hens would take turns sitting on the eggs too when mama went for food... and also add their own eggs. I had to cordon the area off with mama eventually as it was just too much and I lost track of which eggs were laid when.

Hen behaviour changes when they're broody, she would make noises and warn me she would peck me if I went near the eggs.

Last edited:
They all sat diligently the whole time, and made peculiar calls when the babies hatched.

Aside from the first mama (who seemed to sometimes forget that her babies were not in fact weird little mice), all three were excellent mothers. Sheltered chicks, led them to food and water, tidbitting for them the whole time. Second two mothers (both naturally hatched themselves) became very defensive of their chicks—I had to screen off sections of the aviary or they'd attack the other hens.

I think the quail who had a mother make for better mothers themselves. Four of my hens went broody (on infertile eggs) late into last summer, so I'm expecting more hatches this spring.
What type of environment do you have your quail in?? It must be an awesome aviary or pen. Any pictures of your set up??

What type of environment do you have your quail in?? It must be an awesome aviary or pen. Any pictures of your set up??
It's a 150 square foot aviary—the roofed, walled section was the first try, which I added the "garden" on to after realizing none of the plants they liked were surviving under the roof.

IMG_6347.JPG

This is the bigger section, the only one the birds have decided to brood in. The grasses get bigger every year and I rearrange their "furniture" whenever I think they're getting bored. They make nests primarily under the grasses and in the little wicker huts.

IMG_6147.JPG

This is the original section of the aviary. Un-chopped straw was a big hit over winter. I feed them on a bit of flagstone—seems to keep their beaks and nails from getting long. They spend a lot of time beneath the straw and in the baskets, but have never brooded and seldom lay in this side.

Back
Top Bottom