First egg today

That's great! What breeds do you have? How old are your birds?

Picsss!
big_smile.png

I have California Whites, they lay white eggs. Silver Laced Wyndottes, it could be them. I also have a couple of Buff Orington. They are 19 weeks old. By what I have seen on the internet it is the Buffs that laid the egg.

I had 3 hens for one week after they started laying. In that 7 days, I believe only 2 actively laying hens (my assumption is that August was soon to lay, but wasn't) laid half a dozen eggs. They were small and olive green. Most breeds do not lay every day, closer to 5 eggs a week, but when they start, more like 3 eggs a week. It will take them about a month or two to get into the groove of laying.

It's hard. I know that my first egg was laid by Lilac, because she was sitting in the box I had provided for laying during our breakfast talking quietly. After breakfast, unknowing they were laying, I went to go say hi to my girls, and a tiny little green egg was right where she had been sitting. So it was hers
love.gif
She was my favorite! I know that Clover was the second, because one just starting Araucana hen doesn't lay that many eggs, and Clover was the other large, mature looking one with a bright red comb that squatted.

So that's how you know
roll.png

No problem! If you post pics of the hen's heads, I might be able to look at the combs and tell you which ones look like they could be laying.

Back
Top Bottom