First egg was a double yolker!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theron7, Jul 20, 2011.

1. theron7

theron7 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    My 1st egg from one of our Cinnamon Queens was double yolker and it was huge! Is this normal?
    Does this mean she will have good luck? become a great egg producer? just wondering.

2. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    My girls aren't laying yet, but this double came from a neighbor. He claims his sex-link birds have doubles all the time.

[​IMG]

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I'm also curious to know. One of my young hens has been laying for almost a month, and she's been dropping huge double yolkers 2-3 times a week. I'm wondering if this is something that will be "normal" for her.

4. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

One of our Reds lays a double yolker every week or so. Her "normal" eggs are pretty tiny. She's been laying for a few months.

5. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Well we have only had peeps for a year and a half...
    so take my imput as such.
    Ours laid doubles to start with, then as time went by (a few months) they stopped.
    Our newest ones are laying now, and again we have gotten doubles.
    My understanding is in general it doesn't last.
    But is fun to get them while they last.

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    So far each of my girls has laid a double yolker. The BR and the Delaware lay one each week. Pretty fun!

7. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    One of mine's first egg was a double yolker! It was huge! It was the only one though. Somebody is laying a rather small egg to be such a large bird! I wish I knew who it was. I have 1 dark brahma, 2 jersey giants, 3 black sex links, and one banty that is a good layer when she's not broody.

So most of the eggs are rather small, which is a surprize to me, considering I call their poo dung heaps and not droppings. I pick them up when I'm scooping dog poo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by