1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Egg Whoohoo!! and a question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by channel12001, Sep 9, 2010.

1. channel12001

channel12001 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Got my very first egg today...one of the leghorns left a tell-tail sign behind (notice the white feather)....they are about 18 1/2 weeks old. My question is, is this egg safe to eat? That is how I found it with a big load of you know what on top. I rinsed it off and it did leave a stain on the shell. How dirty is too dirty to eat? Or is this a preference thing?...

[​IMG]

On a side note, I thought some of you would get a kick out of the new and improved higher (about 6 feet) fencing I constructed to stop the girls from leaping out and onto the deck. The very next day they were all laughing at me while sitting on top of the fence. So much for that idea and wasting money....

[​IMG]

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    It will be fine...eat and enjoy. Also, don't know how you feel about it, but if you trim one of each of their wings it should stop them from being able to "jump fly" up 6-feet. It worked for mine at 5-feet.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Sure it's good to eat, the bloom will protect the interior of the egg. Just keep the shell out of the omelet.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    congratulations on the egg! I think your chickens are like most people, they just want to be where the action is! But that is funny.
    The poo question. I cook those poo eggs nice and well done. If it is a rank nasty "what were you girls doing?' poo egg, then I cook it up good and hard and feed it to the dogs.
    Happy egg day!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    Every so often there will be a little streak of poo on an egg....I wipe it off with a paper towel and put it in a carton I keep on our kitchen counter. When we're ready to eat them, I wash them off and crack them in a bowl before cooking them.

My girls also hang out on the top of the fence.....they have inquiring minds! I pick them up and put them back in when they hop off, but it sure gets tiring after a while....we're seriously considering the "wing clip" thing, just haven't had the time yet to do it.

Enjoy your first egg....it's going to be delicious!![​IMG]

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Congrats!! LoL they all look like they want to enjoy the deck! [​IMG]

7. Chicken poo on your eggs? Everybody gets it once in a while. I recommend wiping with a dry towel/cloth and then rinse with water right before using it. Eat and enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by