first egg

no I have not not sure what to do if any
Hopefully when the others start to lay, they'll get going on the right track and lay in the boxes. The best thing to do is to remove the eggs quickly. You might also want to consider having less bedding in the coop so the nest boxes are more appealing but there are obvious consequences to that route.

Don't know if this will help...

I found my first egg in the run, so I imagine it was a bit of a surprise. When they started laying in the coop (second egg), it was on the floor, in a hollowed out "dish" of bedding. I put some boards on that spot, and the next egg was just farther down the wall. They didn't seem to connect the next box with its fake eggs to what they were making.

I took the nest box down from the wall, took off the curtains, and put it where the first egg was laid, and put the boards over the second spot. Success!! I left the nest box there while they figured it out. Then, I started raising it back up, setting it on a couple bricks, then higher up each week. They kept laying in the box, so eventually, it was as high as it had been on the wall, and I just screwed it back into its original position. That's where they've laid ever since.

Don't know if this will help...

I found my first egg in the run, so I imagine it was a bit of a surprise. When they started laying in the coop (second egg), it was on the floor, in a hollowed out "dish" of bedding. I put some boards on that spot, and the next egg was just farther down the wall. They didn't seem to connect the next box with its fake eggs to what they were making.

I took the nest box down from the wall, took off the curtains, and put it where the first egg was laid, and put the boards over the second spot. Success!! I left the nest box there while they figured it out. Then, I started raising it back up, setting it on a couple bricks, then higher up each week. They kept laying in the box, so eventually, it was as high as it had been on the wall, and I just screwed it back into its original position. That's where they've laid ever since.
Thanks for the idea .My nest box is built into the wall so I can't move it going to try some different bedding in the nest box and kinda hope they get the idea .
Pete

Congratulations and they learn to use the nesting boxes; most of the time. The first few eggs are always interesting as to where they get laid, what size they are, and the colors. We've had first eggs on the poop boards, in corners of the coop, and in the nesting boxes. In the beginning half of our were laying in the farthest corner of the coop and the other half were using the nesting boxes. It's taken about 1.5 months but all of them lay in the nesting boxes, with an occasional egg on the poop board.

Congratulations and they learn to use the nesting boxes; most of the time. The first few eggs are always interesting as to where they get laid, what size they are, and the colors. We've had first eggs on the poop boards, in corners of the coop, and in the nesting boxes. In the beginning half of our were laying in the farthest corner of the coop and the other half were using the nesting boxes. It's taken about 1.5 months but all of them lay in the nesting boxes, with an occasional egg on the poop board.
Thanks for the encouragement hoping they figure it out

Up Date
I removed the curtain and added some shredded paper to the pine shavings . Just checked them min ago and found a hen in the box just laid a egg. waited to see all the hens in the run and want out to retrieve the egg
its been a fun day so far thanks everyone for the advice and support
Pete

Back
Top Bottom