First egg?

Michael8427

Chirping
Feb 28, 2021
So I have about 80 chickens and most are 12 weeks but 4 are 14 going on 15 weeks old , I read that the earliest they would lay would be 18 weeks but today I found an egg on the floor of my coop , it is so small I have never seen one this small, I was thinking maybe a bird flew in but the only way would be through the door that the chickens use , or maybe one of my chickens layed it im not sure , does anyone have any ideas ?

Attachments

• E2BF0739-4BF3-4182-8FDA-01D81729091B.jpeg
    E2BF0739-4BF3-4182-8FDA-01D81729091B.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 7
  • 0C4F5F77-8BD6-49C6-A337-6B682AB37C60.jpeg
    0C4F5F77-8BD6-49C6-A337-6B682AB37C60.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 0
Yes that is generally a little early to start laying, but I guess some birds start earlier than others? What breeds do you have? I suppose you could do the pelvic bone check on your older hens to see if any of them have the widened space so you know who did it.

What breeds do you have? Some chickens, especially breeds bred for laying, can start a bit earlier than usual. First eggs are typically pretty small because their systems are still getting used to the process. Congratulations to your new layer! :clap
Yes that is generally a little early to start laying, but I guess some birds start earlier than others? What breeds do you have? I suppose you could do the pelvic bone check on your older hens to see if any of them have the widened space so you know who did it.
It's from your chickens. Small eggs like that are sometimes called pullet eggs. They often lay weird eggs when they're new to it. Congrats!
The only 4 that are 14 weeks old were labeled as “black Asian pullets” I got them as day old chicks , there is one of them that squats down and spreads it’s wings out like i am her rooster

The only 4 that are 14 weeks old were labeled as “black Asian pullets” I got them as day old chicks , there is one of them that squats down and spreads it’s wings out like i am her rooster

I would bet that is your layer then! (I would still check pelvic bones) Congrats on your egg!

Small eggs like that are sometimes called pullet eggs.
All eggs from newly laying pullets are called pullet eggs ;)
...and they are all small for a few days, weeks, months.
Female chickens are called pullets until they reach one year of age.

I would bet that is your layer then! (I would still check pelvic bones) Congrats on your egg!
Ditto Dat!
Here's how to check the pelvic bones:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom