First egg!

threeepeat

Songster
Dec 26, 2022
Canada
Happy to have collected my first ever egg today!

Earlier today in another thread, I reported one of my hens making a new sound just like a cricket, repetitive and not quiet. Not panicky really, but definitely new.

I speculated that she was either calling out to the recently separated roos, or she was about to lay her first egg. The egg seems to have answered the question, although I'm not 100% certain that she was the hen that laid it.

Interestingly, the egg is not soft, and the hens are only 5 weeks and 3 days old. Also they are in 24 hour light due to the adjacent (white) heat lamp with the younger chicks.

What should I do with this first egg? Eat it? 🤔

Screenshot_20230126-143519_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230126-143340_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Happy to have collected my first ever egg today!

Earlier today in another thread, I reported one of my hens making a new sound just like a cricket, repetitive and not quiet. Not panicky really, but definitely new.

I speculated that she was either calling out to the recently separated roos, or she was about to lay her first egg. The egg seems to have answered the question, although I'm not 100% certain that she was the hen that laid it.

Interestingly, the egg is not soft, and the hens are only 5 weeks and 3 days old. Also they are in 24 hour light due to the adjacent (white) heat lamp with the younger chicks.

What should I do with this first egg? Eat it? 🤔
Wonderful! Lovely first egg!
I have only chickens. Imagine my surprise to find an egg like yours in my hens’ laying boxes one day. Local wild quail hens run around our area like cats in Greece! One of them liked our henhouse and made a deposit!
It took me a very short time to get the hoops and netting up to prevent mixing with the Wild Ones! (Not to deprive them of socialization, but to mitigate bird flu exposure.)
What a wonder this all is! So many new firsts for you yet to come.
May they all be as joyous as The First Egg Day!
Regards…

2nd Egg! arrived same day, last night. What the heck is this?? haha

View attachment 3387891
It can take young layers a while to get their egg laying machines running well. Make sure they have oyster shell for hard shells, a good protein feed and don't force young layers to lay too frequently with continuous lighting. Birds need at least 8 hours of darkness for good health.

2nd Egg! arrived same day, last night. What the heck is this?? haha

View attachment 3387891
You may get some odd eggs for a bit like @TwoCrows stated it takes them a while to get things right. Some may come shell less like that one others may come unpainted, some may be very small no yolks or very large double yolks. But they will smooth out once their systems get it all together ENJOY :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom